Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Viper rebuild

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Viper rebuild

proprider wrote:I understand what your looking at now. When I removed all the old core, it left some residual glue or bedding material stuck to the fiberglass. Look again at the center core section. This residual material all gets ground out and a layer of 1.5oz glass was laid down to give the new core a nice flat bed to adhere to. The area that Transomstand sketched out will get ground down as well. This is the first time i've ever done a project like this and trying to learn from many of the previous threads. I can tell you that I would have never tried to tackle this endevour if it wasn't for all the great advice and knowledge that has been made available on this site. The Hydrostream "culture" is absolutely awesome!!!
Got it. Didn't want to see you put in all that work and have adhesion issues (and didn't want others to look and think grinding was finished). Great looking job, and attention to detail :up:
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Doing a great job. Again, maybe it's the photo's, I know I am being picky, but on the side of the stringers, it looks like the glass has some air bubbles in it where it appears lighter. I had some glass over core that looked like that and realized I laid it up not wet enough and in temperatures that were a little cool. I ended up tearing some out and re-doing it. JMO. Make sure you wet the glass enough to get all that air pushed out of it and it sticks to the stringers and/or core real good. The extra resin weight is minimal so don't worry about goobing it on real good. Bill

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

A laminating roller is great for that. The glass should be nearly transparent when laid up.

Don't know if you'll be beaching the boat much during use, but if you will, add a couple layers of mat at the front of the vee where the stringers end. Mine actually wore through the outer skin there.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
proprider
Regular
Regular

Laid some more core down last nite. I think if I had a kitchen sink laying around, I would have added it to the heap of weight als..lol. My camera is just a cheap unit and doesn't take very good closeup shots. I can assure you there isn't any air left under that glass. I use a full arsenal of rolling bubble-busters to make sure all the snap, crackle and pop are all gone. Thanks for the observation.
Attachments
DSCF4342 (Copy).JPG
DSCF4342 (Copy).JPG (135.78 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
DSCF4345 (Copy).JPG
DSCF4345 (Copy).JPG (108.28 KiB) Viewed 2018 times

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

proprider, how did you make your jig? i love it but im unsure on how you made the measurements and are positive its perfect for the hull. i definitely would like to make a similar jig myself. thanks

Topic Author
proprider
Regular
Regular

aaron78viper wrote:proprider, how did you make your jig? i love it but im unsure on how you made the measurements and are positive its perfect for the hull. i definitely would like to make a similar jig myself. thanks
Started out with the hull upside down, made cardboard templates and built the jig right on the bottom while it was laying there. I will offer for sale the one that I have when i'm finished for the cost of materials.

Topic Author
proprider
Regular
Regular

Finished putting in the last of the inner core friday, ready to glass it in today.
Attachments
DSCF4373 (Copy).JPG
DSCF4373 (Copy).JPG (128.39 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Glassin over the balsa was my favorite part. When it darkens upfrom wetting it , its beautiful. Looking good man

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

looking between the inner and outer stringers it looks like you doubled up the core??? what exactly did you do there??

sax
The new guy
The new guy

proprider wrote:Finished putting in the last of the inner core friday, ready to glass it in today.
Keep the good work Joe.......lookin' good.

Happy New Year,
Sax

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post