Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Unbelievable - Last Virage just pulled from molds

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Gibbs87VKing
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Unbelievable - Last Virage just pulled from molds

Wow, I m don't know what to say.....That is gorgeous....That is such a piece of history....would love to finish that project :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks for that.

We are planning on slightly "overbuilding" it. Adding balsa coring throughout the entire hull and glassing the seam. Won't add much extra weight but will stiffen hull.

My last Virage started getting hairline cracks where the screws attached the deck to the hull. I want to be able to blast thru choppy large lake waters without worring about stress cracks.

This is my last Virage. One of a kind

Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

proprider
Regular
Regular

That is one very nice looking boat!!

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

That's the poster child for the Virage, I love it! Your new one looks very nice too, good luck with the rebuild!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

bigboy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

alaskastreamin wrote:What you see is a "floor support". I believe it was made in a mold and glassed to the hull. The bottom panel is a false floor for the ski locker. Notice the three drain holes? I don't think these boats have stringers.

I am going to balsa core the entire hull. Factory only cored the pad and the V section. The outer sponsons were filled with foam and glassed over. Thats why you only see the remenants of the floor ending on the inside of the sponsons.

I was baffled about the outside edges of the floor till I talked with Aaron (X-Treme paint). He had his Virage apart and noticed no plywood over the sponsons. Just glass over foam.

Haven't made any progress yet. Our July trip was, as usual, too short and we didn't have time to do anything. We did take all the screws out of the lip so the deck can get removed next time down. Late Sept./ early Oct. we'll be back down.
That floor support will def act as a stringer.

A local boat builder uses the same method to build his lightweight offshore boats. I think the Virage is the only boat were they used this method. Probably a new building technique from Hydrostream at that time.
Is the boat stored at your place?

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Yea, it's at our Washington property. It wasn't worth sending up to Alaska then back down. Got three old cars i'm restoring back to back,....to back up here. The Virage gives me something to work on while down in Washington 3-4 times a year.
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc

bigboy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

alaskastreamin wrote:Yea, it's at our Washington property. It wasn't worth sending up to Alaska then back down. Got three old cars i'm restoring back to back,....to back up here. The Virage gives me something to work on while down in Washington 3-4 times a year.
Oh I was not aware of that. You plan on taking it to Alaska than when it's finished?

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

It will stay in the states. Salt water is tough on HP parts. Caprice wants to go really fast for long periods.

We had the Viper on a large lake in July. The chop was 2' and a few tubers and some jetski's. Too rough for the viper then out came a 32' DCB Eliminator cat. Told Caprice to hang on. We ran with him to about 80 mph and had to let off. He came back and was amazed the Viper could run that fast in the slop. He was getting 115 mph!! Caprice wants to look him up when we get the Virage done. She asked how much hp we need to beat him. Told her 280 was about it for a "semi" reliable motor. She said, "Then lets get one". :up: Gawd I love my wife!!!
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc

bigboy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

alaskastreamin wrote:It will stay in the states. Salt water is tough on HP parts. Caprice wants to go really fast for long periods.

We had the Viper on a large lake in July. The chop was 2' and a few tubers and some jetski's. Too rough for the viper then out came a 32' DCB Eliminator cat. Told Caprice to hang on. We ran with him to about 80 mph and had to let off. He came back and was amazed the Viper could run that fast in the slop. He was getting 115 mph!! Caprice wants to look him up when we get the Virage done. She asked how much hp we need to beat him. Told her 280 was about it for a "semi" reliable motor. She said, "Then lets get one". :up: Gawd I love my wife!!!
Haha thats just unbelievable :lol:

fla.viper
Regular
Regular

alaskastreamin wrote:What you see is a "floor support". I believe it was made in a mold and glassed to the hull. The bottom panel is a false floor for the ski locker. Notice the three drain holes? I don't think these boats have stringers.

I am going to balsa core the entire hull. Factory only cored the pad and the V section. The outer sponsons were filled with foam and glassed over. Thats why you only see the remenants of the floor ending on the inside of the sponsons.

I was baffled about the outside edges of the floor till I talked with Aaron (X-Treme paint). He had his Virage apart and noticed no plywood over the sponsons. Just glass over foam.

Haven't made any progress yet. Our July trip was, as usual, too short and we didn't have time to do anything. We did take all the screws out of the lip so the deck can get removed next time down. Late Sept./ early Oct. we'll be back down.
are you planing on puting drain plugs in the sponsons? i have a 89 stage 2, same color scheam as your old one. i wonder how much water is in thoes sponsons, and there is no way to get it out. mine has seen its better days, the guy before me ran it under a dock, did a crappy job of fixing it. but for what i got in to it, i cant complane. after rebuilding the carbs, i have a turn key reliable boat that has never let me down. thankyou for the info you post, ill be paying close attion to your build.
mike
Attachments
20120318_142943 (Copy).jpg
20120318_142943 (Copy).jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 6073 times

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post