Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Rose Tinted Windshield

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Rose Tinted Windshield

I was figuring anything under 100$ would be a good deal. there are 2 winshield on the Baltimor craigs .100$ &150with frame and shield.

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Well by the sounds of things, I'm going to have to tell the girlfriend to keep her hands off, it's not a holy sh!t handle lol maybe let her read this thread!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Just tell her if she bends the frame or cracks the shield there goes the $$ you had saved to buy her some bling :lol:

JUPITER VALERO
Regular
Regular

The windshield on my Canadian Edition AE-21 is also rose tinted.
Ann Drives AE21.jpg
Ann Drives AE21.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 3189 times
1991 Canadian Edition AE-21/Merc 2.5
1997 Checkmate Pulsare 2100/under the knife
1994 Checkmate Pulsare 2100/Merc 225Xri-SOLD
1988 Valero YT Bowrider/Merc 175-SOLD

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

i don't get here much these days (1 year old daughter and a 5 year old daughter, need i say more?); I noticed this, and I can ship my windshields for about $50 to most places. And, yes, you can get a transparent rose color. We simply use Gougeon Brothers special clear hardener and add 1% rose pigment, and special "clear lay" fabric. This is the fabric used on restoring old mohogany Chris-Crafts and Penn Yanns to maintain the look of wood, with the durability of fiberglass. Essentially, it is clear, and you cannot see a hint of the fabric. I am a bit of a traditionalist and like to keep the original light tinting from the original early streams and dark tint on the later Pipkorn boats. The Tucker rose colored shields, in my estimation, might look cool, but don't lend any real value to the boat, as this was a Tucker thing, not a Hydrostream or Pipkorn item. I equate it with the Canadian Firebirds that had Chevy motors and not Pontiac. Yes, it was factory, but, historically, is it really as desireble as the Pontiac motor? Just my opinion. It does look cool though.

I don't see the acrylic windshields making a comeback at all. They are too brittle, unrepairable (almost), at the factory many of the shields broke in the process of riveting. Fiberglass is the way to go. It simply is not brittle, and can be repaired if cracked. This is why noone is selling any acrylic ones now, as far as i know. Too many people in a rush not taking careful time to install the windshield. Also, the fiberglass ones we do are only 3 pounds if you do light layup and handle shock a lot better. just some little insite of my own thinking and experience. oh yeah, i tell you what looks really cool, I did a windshield for a guy with a hint of House of Kolor silver metal flake. It looked really slick on a metal flake stream. not a plug really for myself, but couldn't resist to comment on this one. thanks

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Ron what are you getting for your windshields?

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

i just got a email with the same question, basically, you can go cheap and simple, or sky is the limit;

simple flat black polyester layup $200, with gloss black, $250

if somebody wants exotic (transparent, pigmented, metal flake, epoxy, s-glass, e-glass, etc.) then $300 and up.

if somebody wants it to weigh super light (2-3 pounds), $250, because i have to use ProSet epoxy (NASA grade West System) and all s-glass. much less material used, but not as easy to work with, and the supplies are extremely expensive since i don't buy this stuff in bulk (not enough demand).

The one i am doing right now for a guy has a fiberglass hydrostream emblem on the center of the shield. will look nice when done.

i can do a simple "rough cut" shield for $125. This is one popped out of the mold, will need sanding, filling, fairing, and paint.

Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi JETMORE, Im new here- do you also make windshields for the hydrostream viper too? I have a 72 viper and am looking for a new windshield , the one I have now is see through but with a dark tint. If so how much and how long? Thanks

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Jetmore, any chance you could throw up a pic of a clear tinted fiberglass windshield? I don't have any doubts, just haven't seen anything like it. In the instance if mine should need replacing, I'd definately want another transparent pink one. I don't know what it is, I just think pink looks killer on some things. My sled is black and pink too....

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

i knew someone would ask that. i don't keep the transparent in "stock" as they are kind of special and expensive but i can post a picture on the next transparent that i do. it might be pink or might be yellow, or black or who knows, but i can post it. might even have a little flake in it. the only problem with the transparent ones is that if you ever crack it and have to fix it, it is very difficult to arrive at the same exact pigmentation on the repair. in other words, you will see a color difference where it was fixed. i would recommend a solid color if repairing it. flat and satin look pretty cool. One guy wanted his windshield in carbon fiber, so we laid it up, and once it was popped from the mold and ready to paint, we scotch-padded the black primer and laid a nice fine weave carbon over it with clear-hardened epoxy . Came out really cool. I don't generally like working with carbon, though, because when it fails, it fails bigtime.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post