Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Which hull

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Sonik
Regular
Regular

Re: Which hull

I agree with Pete. I think all things constant and equal, the Viper will be faster. Its a smaller, lighter boat. Although I've found that the Viper is not nearly as well behaved on the big end, due in part to the wider bow cross-section I'm sure.

Chet says his is scary over 100, well I'll agree with that statement as well, but add "over 90". Albeit I was testing with the worst possible prop for big end #'s. If you're looking for mid to high 80's you'll need more than a 2.0 liter in a "lake boat". My best was 83.7mph solo with an XR2 150 after 2 seasons of playing with the setup. With 2 on board, it hit a wall at around 81mph. Keep in mind...... full factory interior + misc gear under the seats. I'd think a horizontal front XR4 or XR6 (2.4 / 2.5) 150 with tight heads and some reed / exhaust work would get you the numbers you are looking for.

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I'd think more along the lines of a 200, if on a budget. The 200 will easily put you into the low 80's without having to work hard. To do it with a smaller engine, you'll need to be pretty much on your game. The 200 gives you more flexability, you can run the motor a little lower, which is easier on your equipment, you won't need a "killer" prop, any crummy off the shelf 28 Chopper will get you there.

My Ventura ran 85 with literally a junkyard 200 horse motor, and a nose cone glued on a preload lower unit, without a LWP.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
almightygimp1
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks for all the input! Can't wait to get this thing in the water!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD POST, BUT JUST STARTED GETTIGN BACK ON THE SITE AGAIN, ANYWAY, MY 2 CENTS:

THE VIPER IS A KICK-ARSE LITTLE BOAT, ON MY SECOND ONE NOW WITH ALL THE COOL STUFF (NYDAHL/BAKER FOOT, CLEAVER, 140 CROSSFLOW, 2 INCHES BELOW PAD, FILLED, WIDENED, AND BLUEPRINTED PAD) AND I HAVE DRIVEN AND OWNED ENOUGH OF THESE TO BE CRAZY, BUT, A V-6 ON A VIPER, THOUGH IT IS FAST AND ACCELARATES LIKE A SCALDED DOG, AND IS REALLY FUN, I CONTEND THAT THE VIPER IS SIMPLY A LOT MORE FUN WITH A TOWER OF POWER OR A V4 CROSSFLOW. THIS HULL IS TOO DARN SHORT FOR MUCH OVER 300 POUNDS OF POWER AT THE TRANSOM. IF YOU ALWAYS HAVE A PASSENGER, WELL, THIS CHANGES THINGS, BUT THE BALANCE OF THE VIPER WITH A DRIVER ONLY, AND A 380 POUND OUTBOARD IS NOT GOOD, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THE LEVERAGE OF A 5 INCH JACK PLATE ALSO. TALK TO ANYBODY THAT HAS DRIVEN A 327/365 OLD VETTE VERSUS A 427/435 VETTE, AND, THOUGH THE 427 VETTE IS FUN AND MAKES YOU SMILE WHEN YOU STEP ON THE GAS, THE OVERALL MUCH MORE FUN DRIVING EXPERIENCE IS THE 327 CAR. SAME GOES FOR THE 289 VS 427 COBRA CARS. I CONTEND THAT THE VIKING IS A BETTER BOAT, TOO, WIHOUT A DOUBT WHEN RUNNING A 380 POUND MOTOR.

WISDOM FOR THE DAY, "NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SET UP IS, FLIP THE BOAT, SHARPEN YOUR PAD AND INNER STRAKES, AND TRAILING EDGES, AND FILL IN ANY WAVES ON THE RUNNING SURFACE, AND WATCH 2-3 MPH MAGICALLY APPEAR"

THANKS

RONNY

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

JETMORE wrote:I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD POST, BUT JUST STARTED GETTIGN BACK ON THE SITE AGAIN, ANYWAY, MY 2 CENTS:

THE VIPER IS A KICK-ARSE LITTLE BOAT, ON MY SECOND ONE NOW WITH ALL THE COOL STUFF (NYDAHL/BAKER FOOT, CLEAVER, 140 CROSSFLOW, 2 INCHES BELOW PAD, FILLED, WIDENED, AND BLUEPRINTED PAD) AND I HAVE DRIVEN AND OWNED ENOUGH OF THESE TO BE CRAZY, BUT, A V-6 ON A VIPER, THOUGH IT IS FAST AND ACCELARATES LIKE A SCALDED DOG, AND IS REALLY FUN, I CONTEND THAT THE VIPER IS SIMPLY A LOT MORE FUN WITH A TOWER OF POWER OR A V4 CROSSFLOW. THIS HULL IS TOO DARN SHORT FOR MUCH OVER 300 POUNDS OF POWER AT THE TRANSOM. IF YOU ALWAYS HAVE A PASSENGER, WELL, THIS CHANGES THINGS, BUT THE BALANCE OF THE VIPER WITH A DRIVER ONLY, AND A 380 POUND OUTBOARD IS NOT GOOD, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE THE LEVERAGE OF A 5 INCH JACK PLATE ALSO. TALK TO ANYBODY THAT HAS DRIVEN A 327/365 OLD VETTE VERSUS A 427/435 VETTE, AND, THOUGH THE 427 VETTE IS FUN AND MAKES YOU SMILE WHEN YOU STEP ON THE GAS, THE OVERALL MUCH MORE FUN DRIVING EXPERIENCE IS THE 327 CAR. SAME GOES FOR THE 289 VS 427 COBRA CARS. I CONTEND THAT THE VIKING IS A BETTER BOAT, TOO, WIHOUT A DOUBT WHEN RUNNING A 380 POUND MOTOR.

WISDOM FOR THE DAY, "NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SET UP IS, FLIP THE BOAT, SHARPEN YOUR PAD AND INNER STRAKES, AND TRAILING EDGES, AND FILL IN ANY WAVES ON THE RUNNING SURFACE, AND WATCH 2-3 MPH MAGICALLY APPEAR"

THANKS

RONNY
Well said and I agree.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I'll agree also. I've stated before, driving a Viper or Ventura with an inline or V-4 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It's a far more "pure" driving experience. Everybody today is concerned with "the number", and how big it is. Driving these boats with bigger motors is much more "all business" today. Plus, at the lower speeds, my ears don't flap as much, which is more comfortable.

Also agree with Ronnie on the engine weight issue, I don't like an engine that weighs more than 350 lbs, it just won't give me the feel I'm looking for.
transomstand

Topic Author
almightygimp1
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I appreciate all the input, I've decided on a 2.5 because I know myself. I'll eventually want more out of it and I don't see the point of going through rigging, setup, buying power twice, and balancing. If I need to shed weight in the *** I'll look at shortening mid and lightweight cowl, and so forth. I just like power, from my crotch rocket, to my truck. Got the funds to have the glassworks,, core
And transom done, have talked to afr, one guy local that wants to look at it before he quotes so the first Friday I have off I'm taking it to him for pricing. Still rat holing for interior and power, rigging cost and such. I want metal flake, and have no clue what it's going to cost. Anyone tell me the difference in automotive metal flake and gel coat flake? That's really only place I'm still in the dark.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Flake is the same.
transomstand

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

almightygimp1 wrote:Got the funds to have the glassworks,, core And transom done, have talked to afr,

Scott is a member here as well and he does excellent work from what I have seen and he knows his Hydrostreams. He is also a really great guy. I talk to him here and there on Facebook and is always super nice and willing to answer any questions I have.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
almightygimp1
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Transomstand is Scott? Still trying to learn everyone, sonik that's a gorgeous viper, read most of your posts and threads. Transomstand, are you saying the automotive flake job and gel coat are pretty much the same thing? I know for automotive you paint your base color, then spray flake with clear, and depending on how deep you want it to look, just additional clear. I won't be doing the work so I'm not concerned with labor, just quality durability and cost.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post