Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Paint or Gell?

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
Maple Leaf
Regular
Regular

Paint or Gell?

Ok even though im far from this, Im just wonder whats the ups and downs of both and how much $$$$$ the are. Is paint cheaper then gell or the other way around? I assume gell is much more tougher then paint due to being thicker. Is Gell harder to apply then paint? I was thinking of doing my Vandal in gell. All opions are welcome. Thanks :)
1982 Hydrostream Vandal

Currently restoring...

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Paint or Gell?

I have been wondering the same as well. I know this winter my Vulture will be getting completely redone and would love to put a blue or green metal flake back on it. (Was originally red metal flake but someone painted it white.)
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
Maple Leaf
Regular
Regular

Hippie459MN wrote:I have been wondering the same as well. I know this winter my Vulture will be getting completely redone and would love to put a blue or green metal flake back on it. (Was originally red metal flake but someone painted it white.)
I would love to metal flake my boat again. It is Red metal Flake but its been roughed up pretty bad. Someones sanded into the flake and there is damage on the wings. I have also heard it is really hard to do :|
1982 Hydrostream Vandal

Currently restoring...

Topic Author
Maple Leaf
Regular
Regular

Anyone???
1982 Hydrostream Vandal

Currently restoring...

king gill
Regular
Regular

Why not just paint it up with some "Candy colors"...one of my buddies just resprayed some areas on his stratos vt rocket turd to add a little Bling Bling and then cleared over all of it...actually the colors look pretty nice :up: sort of Reflective,and metalic lookin....Not as cool as original gel and flake but still nice....or just get a JOB!!!!! :P and have it resprayed Red and Black flake like it was originally...That was pretty sweet and you know it would look KILLER ;)

Topic Author
Maple Leaf
Regular
Regular

king gill wrote:Why not just paint it up with some "Candy colors"...one of my buddies just resprayed some areas on his stratos vt rocket turd to add a little Bling Bling and then cleared over all of it...actually the colors look pretty nice :up: sort of Reflective,and metalic lookin....Not as cool as original gel and flake but still nice....or just get a JOB!!!!! :P and have it resprayed Red and Black flake like it was originally...That was pretty sweet and you know it would look KILLER ;)
Brad, The reason I ask is I have been told that gell is much thicker and more resistent to water then paint. And that you can't leave a painted boat in the water for longer than a couple of days. Im thinking of painting it Anodized Red. Soo it will be one colour nothing fancy. I would love to get it reflaked but it would be too much work to do it myself and too much $$$ to let someone else do it.
:roll:
1982 Hydrostream Vandal

Currently restoring...

king gill
Regular
Regular

Why are you storing your vandal on the lake all summer????I dont see what that would have to do with it...If your doing it yourself who cares if it aint perfect and the flake is hard to do......
Boats are Gelcoated for a reason from the factory...so that speaks for itself....There sure are alot of guys that paint their boats though so if it wasnt anygood why would people do that.....Me myself wouldnt care if it was Gel or not...screw leavin the boat in the water for a week at a time ...even with gel that crap is harder than hell to scrub off...I see all these richy rich guys here that live in Illinois and have a condo on my lake....Ya see them at the Island and the bottom of their boats look like the swampthing :) And speaking from my Boat .... paint and clearcoat...it scratches super easy...1 grain of sand can leave a real nasty reminder...almost to the point that ya gotta Babysit it so noone touches it...kinda takes the fun out of :boating:

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm thinking gel for the bottom half of my vulture but not really sure yet. Leaning towards gel though. See what the funds look like when that time comes. :)

King, Your HST is all paint and no gel? Looks good I must say. :up:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

king gill
Regular
Regular

King, Your HST is all paint and no gel? Looks good I must say. :up:
Thanks man .... :up: I really have to watch that HST though being a family boat...But the 3 kids are pretty good around it...I do seem to have too remind them from time to time when they are jumping and kicking around out there.......PUT THE SAND DOMN AND MOVE AWAY FROM THE BOAT :D

I guess this was the original gel ...must of been back when the Hydrostream employees were eatin mushrooms and taking hits of acid on the job ...Red,Yellow and pink.....Ewww... I like her alot better now...Obviously :lol:

Vegas Guy
The new guy
The new guy

that is one sharp lookin HST :boating:

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post