Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Little Help With the Voyager Please

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
UncleBoatMan
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Little Help With the Voyager Please

I am putting my 1983 Voyager away for the winter. I know that the floor is in need of replacing, at least under the rear seat. I am told that the transom sounds "pretty good" being solid around the motor mounts. I subsequently discovered it is fully rotted where the step was installed on the lower starboard side. I also suspect that there is rot where the many, many holes wre drilled to install transponders and other crap. I fixed those holes for the season by putting in screws with marine sealant. There is also rot under the drain hole from the transom well. There are no significant gel cracks anywhere, and the hull is overall in good condition. A local guy who knows Hydrostreams a little suggested that I dry out the transom as much as possible, drill a series of holes, and pour penetrating epoxy through it to fill up the voids.
Knowing that I have to remove the floor in the back, how do I check the core and properly inspect the transom and stringers? Is there anyone out there who has done a restoration on a Voyager? I have seen Rut's work on site, and I am probably going to knock off his interior, but I have not seen one down to the core. What happens in the front? How do I seam the new floor into the solid portion?
Also, I ran a top of about 50 MPH with 4500 rpm. I have a 1984 Johnson 185hp. I expected more. I am going through the motor in the off season and will have it at its best come spring. I intend to run some set-back and I intend to upgrade to a better motor at some point in the future. As such, I will be reinforcing the transom and running braces down through the floor to incorporate the stringers. I had in mind doing this out of aluminum plate and tubing.
I have replaced floors and stringers on other boat makes, I have never had a boat with a core before. I am afraid of the transom. I also have a loose bow eye bolt that is used to draw the boat onto the trailer. I do not know how to get behind it to reinforce it and tighten the nuts.
I would appreciate it if I could get some advice and links to similar projects. Thanks

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Little Help With the Voyager Please

Here is my latest to give you a Idea. http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=911&hilit=not+your+average+recore

Here is Hippies http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1171

As far as the transom goes just do it right and replace it. You can patch it now and do it right later but it might be after the glass and gel cracks.

if the floor has rot in it I can almost surely say the core is rotten too. With the floor out you should be able to get to the bow eye.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Little Help With the Voyager Please

The whole front of the boat is molded gell .You well probly have to cut the floor out like I did under the console on each side make sure you leave something to tab to .If you look at my thread pay attention when cutting floor out on sides it is litterly sitting onn the bottum of the hull and you well cut threw the hull like I did if your not carefull . Fix the transom right as motors dont float and you r already gonna have it torn down to the core anyway. :up: Most of all have fun :boating:

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post