Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Best "ride guide" replacement"

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
quinten
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Best "ride guide" replacement"

With the original gone, what is the best replacement you have found?
Quinten

Restoration dedicated to you Dad 1935-2008
88' Voyager, 2.4
86' Vking YT, 2.4

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Best "ride guide" replacement"

As you said on the other page, NFB is probably the worst choice possible. You have to experience it to know just how bad it is. Hydraulic is good. It is an easy install and is smooth and easy, like power steering. Although some, me included, have had trouble with a trace of slack.

Topic Author
quinten
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

I've had hydraulic for about 5 years now. It's starting to act up. If I could replace it with an original ride guide tomorrow, I would.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Quinten

88' Voyager, 2.4
86' Vking YT, 2.4

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I'm swapping my Nfb to ride guide soon, over the winter if I have a place to work on it, in the spring if not. I've been sitting on it for a year now, a few guys up here are running Nfb with no issues, and have encouraged me to keep trying to dial it in, but I give up. It's coming out before I drive it again. I thought about aircraft cable/pulleys/wing plates, but looking at a few of those setups (although they work flawlessly) it's more work than I want to get into. I hear you lose feel with hydraulic, but nobody I know complains about it, except for one STV owner who says the steering torque is a little much when running 100 plus.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I saw the other posts that belong here, just thought I'd post this.

http://youtu.be/OuGaY3bWnIQ

This is Shane, hydroman316, he's on here from time to time. He's one of the two guys who run Nfb successfully up here. I've seen many videos, and run with him twice this year, it works incredibly well on his boat. Mine locks solid at 65ish mph, a weightlifter would have a hard time breaking it free let alone me. But on this 'king you can see, he has no issues with it whatsoever. The other guy is running a custom built 16' with a Merc 150, and his handles the same. I rode in that one, and again, one hand on the wheel at any speed. It seems when properly set up, Nfb CAN work well. I just can't get mine dialed in, so I'm scrapping it.

Topic Author
quinten
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

idvette wrote:I saw the other posts that belong here, just thought I'd post this.

http://youtu.be/OuGaY3bWnIQ

This is Shane, hydroman316, he's on here from time to time. He's one of the two guys who run Nfb successfully up here. I've seen many videos, and run with him twice this year, it works incredibly well on his boat. Mine locks solid at 65ish mph, a weightlifter would have a hard time breaking it free let alone me. But on this 'king you can see, he has no issues with it whatsoever. The other guy is running a custom built 16' with a Merc 150, and his handles the same. I rode in that one, and again, one hand on the wheel at any speed. It seems when properly set up, Nfb CAN work well. I just can't get mine dialed in, so I'm scrapping it.

That was kind of how mine felt. When you decided to correct or change direction, seconds would pass before you actually got it to move. My complaint about my hydraulic is I don't feel input from the boat. Those guys seem to be the exception, I'm glad it's working well for them.
Quinten

88' Voyager, 2.4
86' Vking YT, 2.4

steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

How would you set nfb up? Just like I said in wrong post, 65mph and locked just as it starts to Chine walk. All I can see is BAD things happening even if I could move it, what if it locked once it was turned? Disaster is what I think;) mine had the ride glide in it when I first got it. Cables were shot, it was like a turning an old tractor with no power steering . Couldn't get it to loosen up that wasn't safe either.

p man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Can you not just remove the clutch from the NFB systems? It's been a while but I ran a dual rack Teleflex system on my Vector with no issues.
I did like the Rideguide system better but they all work.
I would have no issues going to Hydraulic. It should eliminate the torque on the wheel. You'll just have to get used to feeling the boat through the seat not the wheel.
Just make sure you get someone to bleed it with the right system and there should be virtually no play in it.

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Pat you can remove the clutch yes, but I have a complete ride guide setup I've been sitting on, just going to swap everything and go dual/opposed instead of my current dual/one side setup. For those who are stuck with what they have, if you tear into the helm, the clutch is made up of rollers, remove the rollers and no more clutch, therefore no more locking.

On a side note, Pat's (pman) v'king is set up with aircraft cable steering, and the thing runs amazing. I looked at his boat earlier this year to see what it takes to go that route, and decided I'll stick with the ride guide I already have, I don't want to put that many holes in my boat. But I love the simplicity, function, and appearance of it!!

steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

That's good to know how to take out that clutch system. If my vector doesn't sell in the spring thy are coming out. The venus has hydrolic can't wait to try that out. I really want to put motor on and take it out but winter approaching fast I have way to much to get done before snow. Plus with my luck I would get it all ready to go and weather would get cold and rainy:( Murphy's law

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post