Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

79 Vulture Recore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

79 Vulture Recore

Hi, name is Bill. Bought my second Vulture just after Labor Day 09 in MN. Bought my first one new in 77. Sold in 94. I saw your threads when it was listed. Got it home and have the floor out of it. Stringers were waterlogged a bit but still seem strong now that they have dried. It appears that someone has already done some work under here. I don't know what I was expecting but the stringers are 3 pieces of plywood resined together and they don't go all the way to the transom. Is this the way they were from the factory? The transom seems solid also and it has a jack plate holding it together. there is some cracking near the transom but appears to be the paint that was put on real thick and not the glass. Here is my question. Never been through a stringer, core and transom replace. Would prefer not too. can I glass in some ribs and a womanized 2x8 ripper to fit between the stringers for strength and re-floor? I don't know anyone I trust locally to check them and give me an honest answer. Any suggestions? I want to get on the water as cheap as possible but want to do whats best for the boat, within budget while I have the floor out. Hippie -nice forum. please respond. VultureNo2 Image

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Another Hydrostream fanatic on board.

Welcome to the forum! Nice vulture

I hate to tell ya but if the stringers are or were wet the core is most likely wet and or rotted in places. The core is bulsa and seems to absorb water if it were in another county.

With the floor out you can drill a couple 1/8" holes just through the glass over the core and take a sample. If it's wet it will have to come out if not you can just glass the holes shut.

Where are you located? There are a bunch of us in MN.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome Bill :up:
Vipers right,take some pics and post them so we can see what ya got. Nice color. I have a yellow viking. Just went through what your about to. Check out my recore thread. If you have a garage to work on it and heat it, you could get alot done during the winter. What kinda power ya got on that?
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

VultureNo2, Welcome and glad to see another Vulture. :up:

I am hoping I can get to work on mine here soon but baby and work has about taken up most my time right now so its just sitting but I do plan on being on the water sometime next year. My goal in no later than mid summer.
If you havent seen my WIP thread you can see it here - Click Here

Also, are you from MN and if so where abouts?
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

1998 Black Max 150 Merc. We are big barefooters. Like to go 55+. Will I get there with that motor? I used to have a Vulture with a 1976 200 Evinrude but listened to the wife in 94 and sold it to a friend who promised to sell it back to me if he got rid of it. Last I heard from him it was gone.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Kenosha Wisconsin Area. Spend all quality time in Minocqua Wisconsin. I skied shows and tournaments back in 70's and early 80's. Now mr teenage boys are in the show. Need a faster footin boat then the ski Nautique. just like the old days. Love to hook up next summer if you have a group getting together. My teens are hydrostream crazy now too. Bill

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

CCRick - like the yellow but the original was the black flake with the red in it. Wish it was original. getting used to the yellow though. Nice pick of the viking.

dan twiford
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi Bill, you will find alot of information on this site. I own a 81 Vulture with a 3.0 225 Merc. Mods to the motor include drilled exhaust and a Bob's nose cone with low water pickup. We are running a Mazco 14.5x26 round ear and a 12 inch setback. My boat runs in the mid 70's on the pad.
I would think your boat should run 55 mph no problem. To my knowledge only myself and Hippie own Vultures. Hippie may know of others with Vultures that can answer your question about speed.
You can use the prop slip calcalator to figure approx. speed too. I typed in all my specs and came out with the speed I am running within a couple miles per hour. I was lucky to find my one owner Stream. The boat has the original red and white color scheme. Also was stored covered inside and has a solid floor , transom ect. Got lucky. I will post some pics of my Vulture. The yellow on your boat looks pretty cool. Good luck...
1981 Vulture powered by a Merc 225

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks Dan. Love to see you pics. Can't wait to get her on the water. Winter will go fast with all the work I have ahead of me. I currently have the floor out and am trying to decide on whether to do the core and stringers. Transom seems real solid. A you in MN also? When I get time I will post a pic of my first Vulture also. Bill

dan twiford
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hey Bill, I live in Norfolk Virginia, about a mile away from the largest Navy base in the country.
I live on the Lafayette river. We run the boat on our river behind our house and on the Intra Coastal Waterway.. Like to run it out when the water is slick. Every time I take out the "BUS" people stop and watch it run....The all famous question any where we go is how fast does it run and where did I get it ??? Love the Streams. I once owned an unlimited class Rallysport Baron 21 step Vee with a Merc 200.. It could run out wide open in chop @ 65MPH but was not as fast of a hull as the Vulture.
1981 Vulture powered by a Merc 225

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post