Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Finding a leak on an 81 Viking

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
pmwiggins
The new guy
The new guy

Finding a leak on an 81 Viking

Hey guys. I have a 81 Viking and when im out on the water I notice I have water building up on the floor in front of the 2 seats. I have no idea where it might be coming from as the hull appears to have no cracks or holes. Another weird thing is when I get home and the boat is on the trailer I will vaccum the water out, then ill come back an hour later. Its there again. I have no idea how it got there. It seems to be about maybe half a gallon or so.
Also when i pull the boat in and on the trailer from the water when I pull the plug out there is quite a bit of water that will come out, a few gallons. But all the while there will be NO water in the bilge. I tried to fill it up with water and look for a leak and found nothing. What can I do? Has this happened to anyone? Thanks. Im aticipation what you all might have to say.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Finding a leak on an 81 Viking

The core, or absence of it, is filling with water. The water runs out of the core when the boat changes attitude.

This is a dangerous condition, and can cause the loss of the hull at high speed. If the outer skin cracks, hydraulic pressure can case the hull to literally explode.

The boat should not be used until repairs are made, probably a recore.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Transomstand is right check the core, it can be deadly if it comes apart.

One other thing to check is the speedo or water pressure gauge, I would think if it's that much water you would notice them leaking.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
pmwiggins
The new guy
The new guy

How would I go about checking that. Like I said. It's not too much water that comes out of the drain plug. Also there is no water coming from the speedo or any guages I made sure of that.
There has to be a way the water is entering the hull. I understand what you are saying about tue core but I want to find out how the water is entering tue hull. I just bought the boat and the first 2 times on the water I did not have this issue of seeing any water on the boat. Coming home from our second trip the winch strap broke and the boat fell off the trailer at about 35 mph. It had a few road rash areas that I repaired with 3M marine filler then painted with anti-fouling. Could this be it?
The boat doesn't change altitude but maybe 10 feet above sea level. I'm thinking water is just getting trapped in the front of the hull somehow. The water has to be coming from somewhere. I have had the boat in the water 2 times since seeing the water accumulation with no problems except seeing the water in from of the seat in the front on the floor. That is the only place I see the water.
How would I go about checking the core without having the boat be unusable? The floor is in great condition with no soft spots. Thanks I hope this info helps you all help me. But really there's no way the core is just holding that water. It has to be coming in the boat from somewhere.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

redneckcustoms13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

check your lower engine bolts and make sure it isnt leaking in there. i had that problem once :roll:
78 vector, 2.4 200, 2-1 lower unit with bobs nose cone.

Topic Author
pmwiggins
The new guy
The new guy

Well I had the boat out Saturday there was some water in front of the front seats. Today I vacuum it out and it's dry as a bone now. It's not coming back. And my altitude isn't changing either. Any other ideas of where this water might be coming from?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

The best advice I can give is to get this boat to a qualified fiberglass repair shop, so that is the advice I will give you.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Stevep1116
The new guy
The new guy

I recently purchased a one owner Verado and it filled up to the front area overnight. Looked everywhere for a leak by putting the boat on a trailer and filling it up with water to the same level... no drips. I then investigated further and discovered the tie down hooks on the stern were loose (and are below the water line) so I pulled them out and filled the holes with silicone and reinstalled the hooks firmly... Completely dry now!

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post