Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Looking at mint '89 Vegas XT

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
JWW
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Looking at mint '89 Vegas XT

Posted some of this information in another unrelated post, but now it's decision time. I'm looking at a very well cared for '89 Vegas XT with '89 Merc 200 XRi, hydraulic jack, CLE gearcase, trim on wheel, foot throttle. First owner added bow tank and ski tripod. Boat looks like it's only a few years old. No rot in the wooden seat bases. All original. No hull damage. First owner kept the boat in a barn between uses, second owner kept it on his covered lift. The rear corners of the splashwell do have the typical small stress cracks. I have not tested the transom yet.

Question: MUST I assume the core is shot? Is it at all possible this boat could be dry and undamaged?
If I have to assume it needs a re-core, who's the closest GOOD rebuilder near south west Michigan? What is a good price for this boat, assuming it possibly (probably?) needs work?
Thanks in advance,
JW

3 Hydrostreams, 4 Checkmates, what's next?
checkmate-boats.com forum moderator

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Looking at mint '89 Vegas XT

Man is that nice. :up:

There were a couple years in the late 80's that the xt's and yt's were prone to bad cores due to improper installation according to John Tiger. I just can't remember the years for sure but it was like 86-89 and it was a little different with the yt and xt hulls. I will do my best to find the info quick.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

85-87 were problematic, 89's were built much better. The boat look very well cared for, so it very well may be just fine. A friend of mine picked up a nice 89 XT this summer that is solid as a rock. The difference in the glass work from his 86 xt is like night and day.

tpwolff
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

look at the bottom where the transome meets the hull you don't want to see any cracks here at all. Cracks in the splashwell worry me VERY slightly but it's something to look at. the transomes were not connected directly to the hull do to the setback(the reason people put in knee braces when they redo the stringers)looks like a 2.4 on the back...these, unmodified, were very dependable power plants Should run in high 70s (maybe low 80's?) I'd bet from the looks of the boat the transom is solid The core is almost imposible to tell without taking samples. There are thump tests that you can do but even experianced people don't use them as an absolute and have been wrong on core condition with them. Price? I'm gonna guess 7 maybe 8 with a trailor and solid boat? I know there was one on scream and fly that was recored......beautiful boat for 6 I thought that was a deal Might still be there just my 2 cents

Topic Author
JWW
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks for all the responses so far! It's off the lift and on the trailer now, I so can do some crawling around. Starting to get a little excited.

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Looks neato! :up:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

JWW wrote:Thanks for all the responses so far! It's off the lift and on the trailer now, I so can do some crawling around. Starting to get a little excited.
Drive it, buy it, and plan to work on it. ...sounds like fun to me! :wink: :-D

Keuka Vegas
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

If This Vegas xt is still for sale let me know......might be very interested....If you bought it congrats :D

Topic Author
JWW
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Owner has stored the boat away for the winter. I have until spring to decide whether to buy it or help him sell it. I don't know his price yet.
Last edited by JWW on May 04, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keuka Vegas
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I want this vegas xt............If you decide not to buy let me know and I am ready for the drive...!

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post