Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

I want one!!!

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
Kjdoo4
The new guy
The new guy

I want one!!!

Hello to all, I have watched these boats race by me for too long always with my mouth open in aww. It's time for me to get on board and find my own. I know a little about Hydrostreams history and what they have made in the past for models. It seems that my mind just loves the looks of the Viking or Vector. My questions may be repeats of other peoples but forgive me, I'm starting my own journey. So here's what I got. Have been shopping for a couple of months now and I have came across someone who has a 1980 Viking with a 175 black max on it. Went to look at it and found that the hull seems to be in pretty good shape. It has been reprinted top and bottom and looks decent. You can see that someone has done some spot repair to the top beck area before painting cause those areas have more orange peel then the rest. Just a couple of small spider cracks around the transome area which seems solid. Here's where I want your knowledge. Interior is not so great. Get into the boat and i find the carpeting wet. Look under some of the carpeting by the drivers seat and see some decent looking cracks in the fiberglass. When do we start worrying about that core? I've seen the post saying that at this age it's always time to recore. They still use the boat regularly and say it has no problems going 70mph. There looking for 3500 for the package and I'm wandering if that's to much. My attentions are to buy a boat and keep it around a long time. Does the boat still have some useable life left before a tear down has to happen? Do I wait and buy one that's already done and pay more or start my own little project? Would live to hear your thoughts and past experiences you have for me.

Thanks
Kevin

frogII
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: I want one!!!

I know I've heard this somewhere before :roll:
if it says Hydrostream on the side it needs a core
unless they have pictures with documentation that it's been done ASSUME NOTHING
just my .02 worth
<> God is Great , Beer is Good , Boaters are Crazy <>

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Kjdoo4 wrote: When do we start worrying about that core?
TODAY.

With cracks in the inner skin, the hull is junk right now, and will need a typical recore at the least.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
Kjdoo4
The new guy
The new guy

So after doing some research reading I understand what needs to happen if I buy this boat. It looks like I can find step by step instructions on doing core work on here. Still wondering if the price is right for this model.

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

If you're going to have to redo/restore the boat anyway, you might as well get a cheaper one that doesn't "show" as well.

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Yep thats alittle to much . Keep looking you well find one.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Price is waaay too high. It needs a $5000 recore (if you had to pay someone to do it). Not worth more than $1500, maybe even less after a good inspection.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
Kjdoo4
The new guy
The new guy

I figure the engine is worth 2000 - 2500 by itself. Seems to run good and looks like it was taken care of.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post