Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

My 91 Venus and a few questions

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
tpwolff
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

My 91 Venus and a few questions

Just a couple of questions if anybody can chime in here...I have a Land and sea Hydraulic jack plate with a 3 1/2 inch setback I was told that these were great plates and when I baught it I also called land and sea and baught the last two sets of slides they had. I was told that these were the only ones that would handle the big V8's without binding back in the day unlike the bob's plates. I know the bob's plates have since been updated and no longer have this problem but was wondering if anyone has had any experiance with these. It really is a great looking peice and would still like to use it
I was also looking at the Incontrol dual throttle control as opposed to the hotfoot as I like the hand throttle for cruising and ease of driving for others. What I don't understand is that in order to use the hand control you must first push the foot control down and then meet it with the hand control.In other words you can only throttle down, not up, with the hand control. Seems to me this defeates the purpose of the hand control.. Anyone have any experiance with these?
also why is it that no one uses foot controls for tilt and trim or jack plate......I see they make them but most people use the turn signal style switches. Is this just a preferance or a control issue?
Also this boat hooks terribly when comming off throttle. seems to me a foot throttle would be kind of dangerous on this boat. Is there a way to diminish this?
One more tecknical question.....what kind of RPM's should I be running on a 91 200XRi. Tach goes to 6 but I can burry that I know the prop is wrong but will wait till next spring when the plate and other stuff is on and working Just cerious as the R's I should be running on this motor

rev.ronnie
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Re: My 91 Venus and a few questions

I have the same boat. I love the windshield on yours. Mine it really tall, like on a cabin cruiser. Don't know about the throttle questions, but setback is your friend...6 to 10 inches will set her flying. I have 6, need 4 more. I'm running a 200 Yamaha.
1990 HST / 260 EFI offshore
1991 Vaserette YT bowrider 200 Merc
1987 Venus XT/ 200 Yamaha
1983 Viper II 90 Merc. triple

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Wow, great looking clean ride! :up:
I'll comment on a few of your questions. On the Land&Sea plate, I have one, and as you know they don't make them any more. They were well respected in the day. They are easy to install because the whole unit is on the transom, unlike others that have the pump inside the boat.

I really like my blinker trim switches, I guess that they are just the current favorite. They are well built, and install easily if you have the proper steering hub.

Foot throttles are great for every application except low speed skiing, and they're are a big safety plus. (I looked up the throttle you like.....$wow!$) :o

BTW, got low water pickup? With that, solid mounts, the jack plate, and maybe a borrowed 24 or 26 in chopper prop, your deceleration problem will be gone. :vking:

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I use the foot trim switches for my nitrous and find it hard to feel the buttons. I actually have to take my shoe off to get a good feel the where the switch is.

I know what you are saying about it torquing when you let off, my vegas did that until I installed solid motor mounts.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

hydrostream76
Regular
Regular

i have seen foot buttons available and i was thinking of adding them for trim
but recently, yea i think i'm going with the fingerflex
i'm not 100% but i think they have one that does both trim and the plate