Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

To core or not

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
HYDROSTREAMVKING4M
Hydrostream Great - RIP
Hydrostream Great - RIP

To core or not

Im working on redoing my 2nd stream recore job,
However over the years ive been wanting a light lay up .Now i did like useing balsa in my first stream however was wandering about a glass only lay up with afew more stingers.
What do you guys think would be best and pull the hull in as light As posible.Its a viking 1978 hull and will be used for 1000 ft drag raceing only..

I have plans how to do it right now im just looking for your guys thoughts.
Any and all info is great.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: To core or not

I would use a 1/4" bulsa core for a light boat as well as more longer stringers before I would just add glass. I would think it would take a lot of glass and matt to get the same strength of bulsa.

I understand it wouldn't be used as a lake boat but they still need to take some abuse drag racing. It's not like they call off the race due to wind and waves, we still run anyway so it's not always calm out.

I'm not a glass man so this is just a opinion.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Just glass would be way heavy. Vipers right, use thinner bulsa or foam and add stringers.
Rick. :boating:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
HYDROSTREAMVKING4M
Hydrostream Great - RIP
Hydrostream Great - RIP

Thin lay up with bulsa core would be the starting plan.However i have seen them with just glass.I also think the a glass lay up would come in at more weight then the bulsa lay up.
So would you guys run stringers in the hull and add core around those or core the hull in and add stringer to the hull setting in the strings on top or the core.
and would you guy bag the core or do it just as stream done it years ago.?

The vector i recored afew years back.turned out well.and at that time i bed'd the core with hull and deck putty and wetted out one side of the core and weighted the core down while setting up.
after 3 hour of set up or so then i was able to wet out the top side of the core and glass it all down.
This was how joe at merton glass had me do it.
That vector is light and straight and runs now into the 90s with a fresh stock 2.4 150 merc.

I guess im looking for thoughts on stringers and how best to run them.
Thanks guys for all help.

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I would think bagging would be the best but just if you can get good adhesion without bagging it'll be ok. I think the stringers on the vipers were on top of the core anyway??? I would go on top of the core with that one with a thin core to distribute the stresses better. My vking was different, the core around the stringers. I run a lot in lake st. clair and is concidered rough so I built mine like a brick s**t house. Still is going to be much lighter though.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

Bond the stringers to the hull, not on top of the core.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post