Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Viper set up

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
Fast Viper
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Viper set up

Thanks for the input , seems like 5" will work . Mine is a custom bracket so I might bring it in an inch or two. Really excited to get this boat put together and in the water. Windshields are available thru Hydrostream Canada .

Topic Author
Fast Viper
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi Ron ,beautiful boat ,do you have a bigger pic of it ? That 2.5 weighs a bit more than mine , ever pull any toys with it ?

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

That picture is large. In the upper left corner there is a +. Hit that and it will go full screen.
Aren't you running a 150? V-6? They all weigh pretty much the same. Mine is a mostly stock carb 2.5L 200. No oil inj., Dukas reeds, + exhaust liner is removed.
My Viper is a '73 model with less freeboard than the newer ones. Don't know what year they modified them. What year is yours?? My back seat is for decoration only. The transom is 1" under water if I have to lean over the rear seat to pull the cowl. Both feet have to stay on the floor. I tried standing on the rear seat bottom and almost sank it!! :o I found this out on the maiden run. Forgot to hook up the throttle cable on the motor. Boat was launched so I thought,....No biggie and walked to the back. Bow went straight up and the stern down!!!
See where the back corners sit? No tow toys with this one.

Here's a shot you never see a Hydrostream in. They're either sitting still or running flat out.

One thing I was told when setting up my first HydroStream,....To determine setback, run wide open with boat trimmed how you like it. Look at motor from side. Positive trip = more setback, negative trim= less. Here's a picture I took from a video of Matt Pickett doing 102 mph in his VKing. Notice the motor is tucked under slightly? He had 6" setback. 5" worked best with that boat.
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dang! That thing sure looks awesome all aired out. :up:

Your battery up front or anything like that? Maybe that would help beep the boat from sinking so much. lol
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
Fast Viper
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I was going to ask the battery question too . How long does it take to get the hang of driving fast ? I used to race ATV's (which have nothing to do with boats I know) but had a 2 stroke that would do 100mph. I have a 200 2.4 on the boat which has no steel cyl liners , it has chrome bore so it weighs at least 20# less than 150. I also have found out that the 2.5's weigh even more . Without an adjustable rear bracket its hard to play with the set back .

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I spent about 10 hours in the vegas before being comfortable on the pad. I was able to drive the viper without problems on the first trip out.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
Fast Viper
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Cool ,I was under the impression it was some kind of art to learn to "ride the pad" and it would take me all summer to figure it out. Although Ron likes his set up on the older style Viper , I still think I should go close to what your set up is considering the amount of experience you have. Guess I want to try to set it up right the first time . Then I have to play with how high the motor will be mounted . I really need this boat to haul around toys to keep the honey happy , so prop choice will have to be conservative .It will be on a lift in front of my place and its a pain to have to take it out of the lake once its there. But could always change props in the water for fast times.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post