Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

looper vs crossflow

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
five1five0rws
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

looper vs crossflow

any thoughts on loopers vs crossflows i really want an older 2 stroke i cn rebiuld n massage to get around 240 hp at prop i really wanna c close to a hundred outa my vector

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: looper vs crossflow

if we are talking omc, which i think you are, go with the looper. it is heavier than the big old v6 crossflow, but makes a lot more power. i think stoker told me that the v-6 looper puts out another 30 pounds of torque over a 2.5 merc, in stock form. also, the looper will take a lot more high rpm running. you could get a looper to 100 without a lot of work.

Topic Author
five1five0rws
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

thats what i was afraid of only cus i know where theres a crossflow cheap although i didnt kno about the torque vs a merc wich is really interesting thank you it looks like that narrows my search quite a bit .....how do you feel about the early yami s?

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

lot of guys love the older carb yamis. i know ron baker really liked the old v-4 carb yamis, but i don't know jack about them. i will tell you this, if you are trying to run a v-6 on a vector or viper, don't go with an omc v-6 looper as the weight is really nasty on those, compared to the 2.4 and 2.5 mercs. those little boats are a handful with a v-6 of any sort, but the extra 50-75 pounds of an omc looper must be insane. you can make anything work, but if putting an omc v-6 looper on a hydrostream, get a v-king or larger. i know a guy that runs an old 235 crossflow on his viper with a 26 pitch raker, purely an accelaration machine. he can eat up any jetski from 0-75 mph. feels like a drag car. really cool set up.

i got a really good and clean 225 looper powerhead, with nice even compression, $1,500. not trying to highjack, but this led right into the topic. thanks

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ronnie, or anyone, Would an 85 Evinrude be considered a crossflow then? And what is the difference. Guess I never really looked it up.

I have a 1985 20" Off shore Evinrude 235 for the Vulture that I am gonna be using. Hope it works out good on the ole bird. :up:

There, I have officially let the cat out of the bag on my power plant for the Vulture. hehe :mrgreen:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

the 235 is a crossflow. i like them but they do like gas. the 3 cylinder omc's were looper back in the 1970's (i think even earlier too, not sure), and the 4 and 6 cylinder omc's were crossflows. in about 1985 or 86 when the 120 and 140 came out, these new motors were loopers, and the old 140 crossflow became a 115, or a 110 (110 is cheap-gas heads, no intake stuffers, but basically still an old 140 crossflow). the v-6 loopers came out around the same time, but not sure on year.

the v-4 loopers are so heavy, in my view, for a little speed boat.

beavertonae-21
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I agree the 3 liter looper would be the best. the yamaha excell (2.6 liter) can be found fairly cheap and already makes that power as well, I've owned both and they are both great motors.

Topic Author
five1five0rws
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

well thank you all very much unfortunately im as indesisive now as ever i know weight will b an issue w a vector but i thought w out setback a v6 was doable. i def. need close to a 100mph but crazy accelaration is a must so i was leaning toward the looper w them having more torque n b n able to turn m higher w less worries. i c the crossflow is lighter n i know where theres one cheap that needs redone [very low comp. bottom two cylinders] but alot of people feel they dont hold up xpecially w high rpm s........i wonder if a looper powerhead would wrk on a crossflow mid section i.e. jetmores on the crossflow i kno of. im on a really limited budget . n beavertonae-21 y xsactly do u like the looper more? anyway thank u all i luv this site

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

i think some do put the looper powerhead on the 235 mid. ill through in a good 235 mid if you want. its complete with lower unit, trim, and a blown power head, if you get the powerhead of mnine.

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

The Loopers can be ported (by the right person) to give you WAY more than 240 at the shaft. That would be considered mild. 280-300 hp is more like it. The low end grunt is also substantially better on the Looper. Crossflows tend to be dogs on the holeshot. I have owned both, and definitely prefer the Looper. Get a '93 or newer (finger-ported) and put the older 2.7 liter heads on it. Guys like Al Stoker or Sam Jenkins can port it to add tons of HP. I have one waiting for me, ready for the dyno right now.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post