Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

2.4/2.5 interchangability question

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

2.4/2.5 interchangability question

At the end of the season last year I had a voltage regulator go down. I talked to the guy at the local marina and he said he had the exact same motor sitting on the floor with 2 holes down, he'd sell me the whole thing with an aftermarket stator/regulator setup. I said I'd leave it for the spring at that point. Today he thinks it's a 2.5, and wants to run serial numbers to see if it's possible to run his electronics. My question I guess is does anyone know, regardless of what he finds, are the electronics from the 2.5 going to work on my 2.4? (If his even is a 2.5, still unsure)

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: 2.4/2.5 interchangability question

To the most part the electronics are the same, some models ran the same regulator ans stator ,you can go to outboardparts.com and check the part numbers, hope this helps

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I should have specified earlier that mine is an 89 200 XRI EFI, the voltage regulator was difficult to source, looked to me to be almost a 1 model only, higher amperage model, assuming because of the EFI. His is also an EFI.... I'll check out that site, but I might just have to lay my eyes on the motor to be sure.

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Got the parts motor today, the exhaust divider plate is a bit different than on mine. My voltage regulator mounts to the plate, which has a hole in it so the regulator is liquid cooled. The parts motor doesn't have that hole. So I am looking at swapping the plate as well, but my motor has an extra bolt in the bottom, where the parts motor has a water drain. Has anyone else performed this swap? It looks like it will work, just wondering if there's anything else I might run into....

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

The divider plates aren't the same at all. Visually very close, but not interchangeable. My 2.4 is a 2 piece design where the 2.5 is a 1 piece. Bolt holes at the top line up fine, but the rest don't. So I'm left looking for a way to block off the opening in the plate, and finding out how else to mount the CDI regulators.

Stator will bolt up just fine, but what flywheel should I use, the original 2.4 3 piece unit, or the 2.5 one piece? Are the cranks balanced differently? Will it matter to the stator?

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Use the 2.5 flywheel with the 2.5 stator, it's a 40 amp unit where the 2.4 is a 16.

Cut a piece of aluminum to block the regulator hole, then make a bracket off of it for the new regulators.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of gutting the original regulator and using the aluminum case to block the hole and mount the regulators, but don't know if I'll be able to get that resin out. I really wasn't sure which flywheel to use, if I'd throw the engine balance off using the 2.5 one. I'll try it out, waiting on gaskets for the divider plate right now :(

Topic Author
idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I wasn't able to pull the "hub" of my 3 piece flywheel off the crank. I compared the 2, and decided to use the original 3 piece. They have identical sized and shaped magnets, and my charging system alredy was 40 amps. It works like a charm.

For those looking at this thread for their own info, I used the original voltage regulator to block off the hole in the exhaust divider, drilled 4 holes in the coil mounting plate, used a nut and bolt to provide a stud/spacer, and mounted the 2 regulators to the new studs. Fits perfect!

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post