Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Merc 200 question from a total rookie

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

redneckcustoms13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Merc 200 question from a total rookie

dont be discouraged by it. seriously a monkey could pull the powerhead on a 2.4 it literally takes 10 minutes. a few nuts, one plug and the little nut on the shift shaft. its very simple. just make sure you have access to a lifting eye that threads into the flywheel. im sure someone will loan you one ;)
78 vector, 2.4 200, 2-1 lower unit with bobs nose cone.

Topic Author
Seth80
The new guy
The new guy

I've rebuilt tons of car/truck engines, but troubleshooting a boat motor is new territory. If I had a good idea what the problem could be, it would probably be sitting in my garage right now. 8-) Thanks again.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

The motor is less of a concern than the core. If that's original plan on putting one in and if after a good look it doesn't need one your better off than thinking the other way.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
Seth80
The new guy
The new guy

I've been doing some reading on here about that. Being new to this, it's alot to take in. If it needs a core, which it looks like most of them do (?) I would feel pretty comfortable tackling that project over the winter. I have a 3 car heated garage to work in, and I used to work at a bodyshop, so I'm somewhat familiar with the materials. Anything specific to look for if I happen to make the drive and check it out?

redneckcustoms13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

make sure the transom is solid, check the core of course and while your out running it make sure it has no leaks or any issues such as that. just BE CAREFUL! these things are dangerous if you havent had time behind the wheel of one, especially with a big engine hanging off the back. look at the lower unit and make sure it has a nose cone/low water pickup. if not it will be prone to blow out. :up:
78 vector, 2.4 200, 2-1 lower unit with bobs nose cone.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Seth80 wrote:Hi everyone, first of all I'd like to say I am new to Hydrostreams and boats/motors in general. Other than riding in them. So here goes, I recently run across an 81 Vector with a 200hp Merc. The guy said the powerhead is an 87 and the rest is a 79. Heres's the thing. He said the motor was leaking water underneath the powerhead, so he pulled it off and replaced the gaskets. Put it back together and it still leaks. Any ideas here?
Question 2: He said that when you go to take off, the motor kind of bogs down/doesn't rev up until you get moving along. Takes awhile to get it revved up and on plane.
Thats pretty much all the info he told me over the phone, and was kind of stumped himself. Any tips, pointers, things to consider? Any advice would be great. I appreciate your time.
The 79 exhaust plate and an 87 powerhead are a total mismatch, hopefully, they changed the plate to match the powerhead. I'm a little unclear, have you already bought this boat?
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
Seth80
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks. And no, haven't bought it. I haven't even looked at it in person yet, it's a 4 hour drive from me. I figured I should ask some questions here before I even went and looked at it. Also, the way it sounds to me, he just bolted it on without changing anything.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Seth80 wrote:Thanks. And no, haven't bought it. I haven't even looked at it in person yet, it's a 4 hour drive from me. I figured I should ask some questions here before I even went and looked at it. Also, the way it sounds to me, he just bolted it on without changing anything.
I have to think with all the stuff I'm seeing for sale, you can do better than that mongrel.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
Seth80
The new guy
The new guy

I'm thinking so too, thanks again everybody.

shellyisland
Regular
Regular

77viper wrote:The motor is less of a concern than the core. If that's original plan on putting one in and if after a good look it doesn't need one your better off than thinking the other way.
Words of Wisdom...core first. Can always repower, much...much simpler :)
Best of Luck!

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post