Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

May I have a little engine advice please?

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
UncleBoatMan
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

May I have a little engine advice please?

What is the "right " engine for a 1983 Voyager XT?

I bought it with a 1984 Johnson 185 HP on it. It runs fine, but I am far from the potential. Also, repeating a mistake from my past, I bought a boat with a rare engine with hard to get parts. I guy who should know told me I should switch to a Mercury.

Considering it’s modest value , what would be the best motor for my boat?

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: May I have a little engine advice please?

I don't know enough about your omc to tell you what to do to get more power out of it. In my opinion I have found it easier and cheaper to get more out of a mercury, but then again you could always add nitrous it's universal every motor loves it :mrgreen:
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

tpwolff
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thought I'd chime in here a little. I respect Chet and I've seen him run but I doubt nitrous is the way to go on this boat. You need to give a little more info on the boat and it's porpuse to go where you want to go The XT hull has a lot of potential but it's also a voyager. Lake boat or river boat?Your hulls potential is 100 plus....not realistic for a passenger boat. Your 185 should do the trick although be it a little under powered. a nice Merc 250 would be a good combination. Plenty of power for haulin people or just plain out runnin. Plenty around reasonable and a proven performer. Go a little newer and maybe stay away from the black max. A 250, jack plate, a little seat time, should put you in high 70,s...few light mods might get you low 80,s. Thats a pretty respectable You won't be first on race circut but you'll have a real nice ride that is friendly and drivable Just my opinion Have fun!!!!!!!

Topic Author
UncleBoatMan
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

"The XT hull has a lot of potential but it's also a voyager."

Thank you both for the input.

As TP suggests, I am not interested in setting records, I am interested in family boating ... with dignity.

Just a little background on me; I had a 1988 Bayliner Capri with a Force 125 engine on it. It went about 37 MPH full out with only me on it with the most aggressive prop it could run. I bought the Voyager to right the wrongs of that boat ... mainly that it was a "buddy boat" (everyone and his buddy has one), and the god-awful Force 125 situation. No, not the underpowered nature of it, there I knew what I was getting. The big problem with the Force was the one-off aspect of it. My Force was a 1988 on the top and a 1987 on the bottom, from the factory. Parts were nonexistent. I would get used parts offered that were in worse shape than the parts I was replacing. I swore that I would never get sucked in on an obscure engine again.

Over the last 2 years I looked for a Baja or a Checkmate, and then found Hydrostream. I got sucked in on the XT hull and since this will be a family boat, zeroed in on the Voyager. My recreational "Boat Guy" has always been anti-Mercury and preached Evinrude. After considerable searching, I found a 1983 Voyager with a Johnson 185 in Kentucky, just slightly above the Tennessee border. I live in Buffalo, NY. I bought this boat over the phone, based on pictures, and my instincts on the guy's honesty, while in an airplane, with the flight attendant yelling at me to hang up my phone (before takeoff). I Fedex'd him a deposit when I landed. No problem.

I drove the nearly 1,700 mile round trip to retreive my Voyager over a weekend. Actually, this was not my first trip to Kentucky to buy a boat. The first boat I went to Kentucky for turned out to be a rot-fest. I passed and drove home empty. Naturally the Voyager I bought was not as good in person as it was in the pictures, but I was so invested and sold on the concept, and because it was in pretty good shape, I went ahead anyhow; the price was fair. Still no problem, I expected to do some work and I am a better than fair shade tree mechanic, and have replaced floors in a boat before.

When I got back home is when some of the shine came off my find. First of all, a 1983 Voyager XT does not have an XT hull, it has a "V" pad. Then I found out that my 185 Johnson, that I thought was so mainstream, was only made in 1984 and 1985. I took the boat to a local racing boat expert and his advice was to get the Johnson off it and Mercury on it. He gave me the "there's so much more you can do with a Mercury" line.

I have had the boat in the water and it runs nice for what it is, that is an old boat with an old engine. I have cleaned it up, assessed the faults to a certain point, changed the plugs, replaced the lower oil, checked the impeller, all the easy no brainer stuff. The transom is ok, solid around the motor mounts, but likely has some rot under the splashwell drain hole and where the jackass mounted the transponder and access pads on the transom with galvanized screws. I intend to use this boat on the Niagara River, the Finger Lakes, and bays off Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. It is way too low to handle any real Great Lakes action.

From an engine point of view, I will have at least 4 adults in the boat most of the time, be skiing, tubing, and fishing. The really important aspect of having the right motor is so that when I am passed by a Checkmate or a Baja, both of which I could have bought with no problem without leaving the Western New York area, I be able to pass them back. Otherwise, how could I possibly explain the 2 years of research and the 2 trips to Kentucky and back?

Does that give you enough info to recommend an engine?

Thanks
Last edited by UncleBoatMan on Jun 25, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

May we please see a pic of this boat . I"m almost done with my 85 Voyager . I have a 05 225 Evinrude ho-di on the back of it I well soon be finishing up my restore .I well be looking to run low 80 this well be my family boat . I also own a Vector with a 98 Evinrude 200 ranger series runs about 85 as I need more seat time .Plus a Valero wth 225 I think you made the logical purchase as I love all these boats .I dont like more then 3 in my Valero 2in the Vector and 4 in the Voyager if I want more peeps I go to my big boat 27ftr big n slow 45 tops .
You have to do lots of research when it comes to motors as certain years were short runs and some problematiac in the first years go to chat rooms about the engines you are looking at see what people are saying about them .I have had Merc"s and Evinrude and had good and bad look with both in my 28 years of boating . But I would say you need a 225-250 atleast but thats just 2cents worth. :up:

tpwolff
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

guy's!! Put things in prospective here First of all a vorager xt has an xt hull an xt has a deep v with two shalower sponsoms. It is designed as an air intrapment hull. It CAN be run on the pad but is not designed for that. It is designed to be run on the sponsons. Hydro made three basic hulls ! the v hull....designed for the race circut. Very fast but very hard to drive 2 the yt.....this was built to bring hydro more into the general boating market...fast but very controlable for the average boater, trying to mainstream hydrostream unfortuanatly this hull was illconcieved and very slow to hydro's standards, thus born.....3 the xt hull wich soom became hydro's main hull. It was fast and could be driven on the pad but also was very controlable when set on the sponsoms. Also, please keep in mind, Racing another boat with 3 passengers is just plain foolish. I boat on the St Croix where some seem to have more money than cent's(sense). I once saw a 23 ft bayliner with two 250 evenrudes hanging off the back. Interesting piece of equipment but really, what idiot puts those one a 23 ft BAYLINER. Racing with passengers is a recipie for disaster. After stuffing my Venus at 60 with three passengers I credit luck and a closed bow that brought us home that night. Wet and shaken. Sinse then my passengers have become precious cargo. I love speed and alone have a slight reputation for being a little reckless but passengers that rely on my expertice and comon sense to bring them home keep me in check. I love my boat and am proud of it. Being passed no longer bothers me. A fun day and good times is much more fun. Stick with the 250 Merc.....it'll get there in plenty of time!!!!

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

I d keep what you have now and see how it runs and if your not HAPPY with it then make changes as you can afford them GOOD LUCK

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Great discussion guys, Here's my humble opinion: I think that hull is rated for 200 hp so anything around 225 (prop rated), since it's a passenger boat, will get you what you want at this point. It's almost funny, as far as power goes, what was enough last year, isn't quite enough this year.

So, it's a pad V, (a Vulture hull) right? Well let me be the first to say ... Setback, about ten inches of setback. :D

BTW, Uncle, you're in a much cooler camp than the Baja, Checkmate boys. 8-)
Welcome and have fun with your new Stream.

Topic Author
UncleBoatMan
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I’m not 100% sure, but based on the info on Hydrostream.org regarding HIN, (see pictures and URLs attached), and based on the fact that there are no outboard sponsons whatsoever on hull (picture), I think I have a V Pad hull. My Hull number is HSP238VYM83C. According to the HIN decoder on Hydrostreams.org, the VY indicates a “V” hull. In that position XY would indicate an “XT” hull. Look at the pictures I have attached and see if you agree. Also, according to the history, the XT hull was introduced in 1985. My hull was made in March of 1983. It does say “Hydrostream Voyager XT 200” on the hull, and I would far prefer to have an “XT” hull; I just don’t think I have one.

[album]390[/album] [album]391[/album] [album]392[/album] [album]393[/album]

http://www.hydrostream.org/ArticleArchives/HullTech.htm
http://www.hydrostream.org/History.htm
http://www.hydrostream.org/Reports/82PRVoyager.pdf

As far as the safety issues go, I have no intention of endangering anyone. Everyone who knows Hydrostream boats has lectured me about the change in handling that happens when on the pad. I absolutely will learn how to handle the boat the right way. However, if I just wanted a fun boat for tubing and family cruising, I’d have bought another Bayliner or a Sea Ray, only this time with a nice safe 4.3 Mercruiser. Heck, I drive by about 10 of each of them on my way to work and most of them are for sale. Instead, I let you all in this forum talk me into a Hydrostream. I’ve already explained the ridiculous search I made for this Voyager. I've invested and I've suffered; now I want the full meal deal.

I have no plans for nitrous or an oversized engine. I am going to use the boat as is for this season and get used to it. However, assessing the repairs and improvements I want to make in the nine month off season we have here in the North. Getting the proper 200 HP(ish) motor on the back is part of the list. My Coast Guard plate says 200 HP max, and this boat does not have transom knee braces, so I am not putting on anything heavier. Whatever goes on will be a nominal 200 HP motor. I am a little afraid of set-back because of the stress, and I am concerned that the boat will become stern heavy.

Having said that, my motor is 27 years old, with 1250+ hours on it, and no evidence that anything other than maintenance has ever been done. I have been told that it is a pumped up 150, and I have been told that it is a toned down 200. Performance parts are either nonexistent, or I have not stumbled onto the sources yet. I could “freshen” it with rings over the winter, but I would not want to get much deeper.

On the other hand, performance upgrades for a Merc 2.4 or 2.5 are plentiful. I see Loopers recommended for this hull as well as Yamaha’s. I am not familiar with Rut’s “ho-di”, but I am not looking to go that new (read that $$$) with the motor. Something from the late 1980’s, or better 1990’s will do. Any direction on how I can research this myself will also be appreciated.

Thanks to all for the good words.

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

It's definitely a pad V, (a Vulture hull).
We can stop worrying about that.

I agree with your plan. I would run it like it is, for sure. After you drive it a while you'll be so glad you didn't get a Bayliner.

The reason I mentioned a setback is because these hull are known to be front heavy. Setback will balance the boat for optimum performance, but that's down the road.

Have you discovered the tech articles at Hydrostream.Org ?

http://www.hydrostream.org/TechTalk/TechTalk.htm

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post