Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Think I found my WOT problem...

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Re: Think I found my WOT problem...

silkeysak wrote:Hey Speed, It looks like a mechanic did that on purpose to keep somebody coming back. Didn't that same guy pay his mechanic $2800 for a powerpack and a fuel pump? Somebody saw him coming and he sold his motor over those retainer clips! As far as your compression goes, these motors were rated at 100 lbs compression from the factory, so you're good. You could try a decarb and they might come up more. Like I told you before, Ive seen as much as a 12lb increase on a lower than normal cylinder from getting the carbon off the rings. Decarb with 1 can Seafoam, 3/4 gallon of gas, add 2 cycle oil. Works like a charm. If it's still smoking, do it twice. Have fun and LET ER EAT!

Yup this is the same guy that got hosed for 2800 bucks for a power pack and VRO pump install. They definitely wanted him coming back because he has cash to burn and he likes spending!

Compression was good and I was actually suprised at the results. Seeing this motor hasnt had a good clean run since I got it I was skeptical on Comp points. Aslo I fired her up today in the laneway on the muffs and She idles a HELLUVALOT better and I was giving the hot foot quick shots of gas and its a ton more responsive. I think tomorrow she is going to run like a Raped ape :boating: :twisted:

Definitely going to do the seafoam treatment. Got a writeup somewhere on how to do one? 8-)
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

Topic Author
S P E E D
Regular
Regular

jacklake2003 wrote:Very informative post! Thanks for taking the time to share.

No problem...I would hate to see someone go through something like this without knowing where to start. Nice to go on a forum and check into certain problems and see what others have done to fix the probs. Trying to figure out where the problem lies is half the battle, once you narrow it down by getting people on the forums opinions you get a feel what suits your problem the best and go from there. Now if somebody needs to know how to set carbs and adjust float heights they can find this thread.

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Speaking of which, anyone have float heights for a cross-flow V-6? All the shop manual has is a part number to buy a template to check it againts, but no dimensions.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

LSaupe wrote:Speaking of which, anyone have float heights for a cross-flow V-6? All the shop manual has is a part number to buy a template to check it againts, but no dimensions.
Make the float parallel with the carb gasket surface without the gasket.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Great, thanks.

silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hey Speed, what I posted is exactly what you do. Get a small gas can, add 3/4 gal. of gas, 1 can of seafoam and appropriate amount of 2 cycle oil. DON'T FORGET THE OIL! Disconnect your fuel line, put it in the can and fire it up on muffs. When it starts smoking (burning off carbon), gun it a lile here and there. Make sure your neighbors don't call the fire department cause if you've got a lot of carbon buildup it's really gonna smoke. If still smoking bad after the first mix, do it again.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I'll add that you will need to change spark plugs after doing that. Also if you can get away with it do it on the water, I have had better luck with the motor under a load, we have a back in test tank at work.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Sounds good, I think I'll try it out next weekend. I have a good quiet boat launch area I can go over and let her run and rev etc... as long as I want.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post