Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Slow out of the hole?

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Slow out of the hole?

1993 Johnson GT200. I purchased it in the fall. I am a little disappointed with the slowness out of the hole. I do not think it is prop related. I was trying to pull a couple skiers out of the water on Saturday, and it was pretty slow going. Any advise of why it doesn't seem to have any power at startup? Once I get going, everything seems fine. also, idle is pretty rough. I have some new plugs to go in next weekend, but this seems like more than plugs to me. Any help would be appreciated. Bill

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Slow out of the hole?

Try a spark plug change first.

What prop are you using?
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks Chet. I bought some new plugs and didn't get a chance to put them in and test them. I will this weekend. I was running a 26 Chopper, but switched back to my Aluminum 14 1/2 x 23. It didn't seem to help at all. Bill

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

May have a power pack going out

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Before I bought my 'Stream, I was looking at a 26' Baja with 2 of those motors on it. When the guy took me out he really took his time putting around before he brought it up on plane. When he finally did, he said "yeah, these motors don't seem to like to get out of the hole unless they're good and warm". Think there might be any truth to that? I don't have a temp guage on my Merc, so I don't really know how long it takes to get to "operating temperature", but I know my carbed corvette was picky....

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Does the boat have water in it/wet? Also, different engines have vastly different horspower curves. I don't know about your particular model, but I have seen a lot of the smaller OMC motors be "dogs" until they get the revs up.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks for all the comments. It is a OMC Johnson GT200. I have owned a couple older OMC 200's and they all had great power off the blocks. I will start with some fresh plugs and post again after the weekend. I expect that will help, if not I was leaning towards some varnish in the jets. I was sitting on a skid for about a year b4 I bought it. I wanted to run it for a while with the existing plugs to get all the carbon out of it. I fogged it real good in the fall after only a couple times out. this spring, I wanted again, to run it a while b4 new plugs. I am hoping the plugs will help, but I will keep y'all posted. Bill

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post