Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

please help with power info

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: please help with power info

Sonic is running real close to 85 with his 2.0 150. If you go with a newer 150 a 2.5 will be just a drop on powerhead and the HP options can be endless.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

almightygimp1 wrote:thanks for the input and the warnings, i know im gonna have to ease into this boat, and it will take some seat time to get used to it, had thought about going with a 150 then moving up, but i dont see the point in going through all the setup twice, seems like wasted money and i know ill want more than a 150 can offer eventually. Do you think a healthy 150 would get 85?
my thoughts exactly, im on the fence about what to power with. 85mph mark eventually will be all that i want in my river boat. some good info in this thread to keep in mind. :up:
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Sonik
Regular
Regular

77viper wrote:Sonic is running real close to 85 with his 2.0 150. If you go with a newer 150 a 2.5 will be just a drop on powerhead and the HP options can be endless.
77viper wrote:I will warn you if you have not had a lot of seat time in a viper a promax will be dangerous and can be deadly. It will be capable of speeds right around the 100mph range. Even a 200 can hurt you bad. You will need GOOD steering, solid motor mounts, hot foot and a good life jacket with leg straps. I suggest doing all of this no mater what motor you use.
I agree with what Chet has said above. Solid boat, solid mounts, good steering setup, hot foot, good jacket, AND seat time. I will tell you from experience that the boat will tell you what it likes and doesn't like....and its best that it happen at lower speeds while learning the boat than when its all strung out and does something you don't expect. I went with a 2 liter XR2 150 because I bought it right and it was a stepping stone for me to learn to drive. Balance and weight distribution are everything in small boats. Ask me how I learned that. :mrgreen:
almightygimp1 wrote:thanks for the input and the warnings, i know im gonna have to ease into this boat, and it will take some seat time to get used to it, had thought about going with a 150 then moving up, but i dont see the point in going through all the setup twice, seems like wasted money and i know ill want more than a 150 can offer eventually. Do you think a healthy 150 would get 85?
Mine has been a best of 83.7 with a coned 200 case and turned a 30P ET 6100rpm with propshaft even with the pad. Motor is a stock vertical front 1/2, 120psi compression powerhead with the timing module still on it.......with ALOT of hours on it. :up: Like Chet said, a newer 2.5 150 (horizontal front 1/2) and a set of cut heads will net you the 85mph you are looking for no doubt. If thats not enough for you, having a 2.5 as a starting point, the sky is the limit my friend. :up:

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post