Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Growing up HydroStream

Stop in and introduce yourself and say hello.

Topic Author
Scaryfast
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Growing up HydroStream

I was fortunate enough to grow up in the New Brighton plant. My Dad (Ron Baker) worked with Howard Pipkorn in the hayday of their design - the late 70s. I hung out at the plant on weekends when my Dad and Mr. Pipkorn would do all their mad scientist work. It was the greatest place to be at the greatest time in the company's history.

My first boat was a Ventura II with a 55 HP Johnson on it. I was in 7th Grade. It would go about 35HP...until I sawed it in half running across Forest Lake. Instead of getting in trouble, my Dad just looked at me and asked "What sound did it make just before it stopped running?" I responded "It started knocking really bad like something was coming loose." He responded "Well, next time you hear that noise, shut off the ignition."

I learned a valuable lesson that day that I've had to use a few times since.

I've had several HydroStreams through the years of course, but my favorite will always be my first. I am taking over my Dad's HST and will be refurbishing it to go drag racing. I have a feeling that the sentimentality of that boat will quickly launch it right to the top of my favorite 'Streams.
Sam Baker
'91 HST Project with Some Sort of BRP Horsepower

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Re: Growing up HydroStream

That's very interesting! I can't wait to hear more stories. I'm currently working on a '79 Viper and I also have a VooDoo (it's a Canadian Edition, they "borrowed" the molds/design from Hydrostream right?) that I've been using during the summers on vacation at our family cottage in Ontario for 10+ years now. I've always loved the lines of all (most) of the Hydrostreams. For me it's not as much the speed (although I still get goosebumps everytime I do 60mph in a 13' boat powered by a stock 70hp) but the design. They truly are a magnificently designed boat. I stil haven't found a boat that has as nice of lines and shape as a Hydrostream.

Anyway, I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say we'd LOVE to hear more "insider" stories.

Chris

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Welcome Sam
Heck ya we want more.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

:agree: :agree: :agree:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

brianincc
The new guy
The new guy

Is that the same HST your dad had here in Crescent City? I remember him working on one right before he moved.

Topic Author
Scaryfast
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Yep. Here's a closeup.
Sam Baker
'91 HST Project with Some Sort of BRP Horsepower

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post