Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Well I made it over finally...

Stop in and introduce yourself and say hello.

Topic Author
Matts94Z28
The new guy
The new guy

Re: Well I made it over finally...

That's what I figured. The only thing I am pissed about (not pictured) is that I cut a nice slit in the boat with the dual saw I was using. It's about 1/8th inch thick and maybe 18-20in long. Good thing about it is that it's right where the vee turns down into the sponson, so it will be a 90* angle when I go to fix it. I figure that it will be stronger than it was before when I am done and when I look at it logically I will already be repairing it from the inside when laying the new mat overlaps. Once the core is done I can flip the boat and repair the outside of the slit as well as true up the pad.

Another thing I am nervous about is how to bed the core. I will be using sandbags as weight, but I have a few options as far a laminate. I have two gallons of Mertons Hull and Deck putty I could mix up and lay on the hull, then lay the wetted balsa into that and let it cure. My other option is to to put down some 1.5oz CSM, wet it out, and then lay the wetted balsa in that and let it cure. Mertons seems to think the hull and deck putty is the ticket as its got milled fibers in it and dries hard as concrete.

I guess we will see when I get there. Weather has permitted me from removing the stringer box and grinding the pad core out as well as removing the foam from the sponsons.
1987 Valero YT/2001 Optimax 225

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I lay 2oz mat down first then the core, that just how I done it. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, keep up the good work and post pictures of the progress

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

Topic Author
Matts94Z28
The new guy
The new guy

How do you guys feel about leaving the sponson's open? I am a little nervous when it comes to cutting the glass out over them. I'd hate to go to far and cut a hole in the bottom or go to far to the side and cut a hole in the side of the boat. If you look at the pictures, you can see where the floor rolls down 90* into to sponson... that area is thin as can be since I just pulled up the glass. The pictures of the hull from the underside show sunlight penetrating the gel! I guess I could build that area up more when I overlap my outer layer for the core. I just want a safe boat.

I am obviously a bit nervous as I have not messed with fiberglass ever. Right now I have the following.

5 gallons of poly resin w/ hardener
2 gallons of hull and deck putty
11yrds of 1.5oz CSM
6yrds of 1708
6 sheets of end grain balsa core (more than enough)

I feel that this will get the core in and bedded while allowing me to learn. Once I know how much material I consume I can place another order of whatever may be needed for the stringers and knees I plan to add as well as the floor and bulkheads.

The transom was replaced in the boat about 2 years ago by a "reputable" shop. The previous owner stated that they cut the skin off from the outside and replaced it. Not sure if the splashwell was removed and reglassed in. I did notice their outer most lay of glass on the inside of the transom can be removed if you really yank at it. That layer will have to be replaced when I attach the knees.

The splash well still have crack in the corners as you can see...

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I prefer the putty over mat to bed in transoms and core.

The reason why is that you can't prep the surface perfectly flat. With slight waves in the ground surface, putting flat plywood or core material against it will create resin rich and resin starved spots in the mat. Putty allows for these variances and the strength isn't compromised.
I use a notched trawl to spread the putty. Look at my Viper restore to get an idea how I used the putty. It's the feature topic on the IHR:

http://hydrostream.org/Topic.htm

I wrote this article in detail to help HydroStream owners understand not just how to do the job but why I chose my method with the pro's and con's to each process.

Don't get me wrong,....I'm NOT saying if you bed in your transom or core with mat, it will come apart. Just that the putty is lighter, has more "peel" strength as it's an adhesive, and is easier to use.

I am currently using Core Bond putty to bond in the transom in my Virage. (Yes, plywood is "primed" with resin before installing)

Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

Topic Author
Matts94Z28
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the information! It is a huge help.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post