Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1976 Bicentennial Restore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: 1976 Bicentennial Restore

Good to here you are ready to make some progress. Love to see some pictures of the cruiser. I hand chiseled out every inch of my core wit a hammer and a screwdriver. I have heard others have quicker ways, but I took it slow and steady. Someone will chime in and suggest a quicker way, but I had nothing but time and a couple teens to help. I am in the same situation as you. Torn between boating or working on VNo2. I have several other boats also. I have a 1939 correct craft barrel back. A 1946 U22. and A 1984 Ski Nautique. We spend plenty of time in all three and that has left little time for the Stream. I will not get it in the water this year, but I am ok with that as the kids are barefoot water skiing and doing shows and tournaments. I also will have to take some time out for the 60th anniversary of the water ski show I was in when I was a kid, and my kids are in now. Can't wait to see all the old bats. (Minocqua Bats) If I can help in any way, let me know. Oh, by the way, I'll be hitting the chain of lakes in Fox Lake IL this weekend in the U22. Used to see the boat you bought out there every once and a while. Bill :up:

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Hey Ryan, I figured you were boating instead of grinding! lol Iv'e been running the chit outa mine. Nooner and a lot of munchies bay. We've had some good weather for it. The grinding will be easy with the deck off. There is some tempting deals on cruisers lately isn't there. I've looked at a few. Cut the laminant off the top of the core and if its rotten, it should just scrape off. I used a flat spade shovel. If you run into some solid stuff, a chisel will work like Bill said but be carefull. Don't knock a hole in the bottom. Still gota get togeather. Maybe meet up at munchies some day, let me know.
Rick :vking:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I have been reading other posts on VIpers and people are talking about "solid mounts" for the motor. What exactly is a solid mount? I was thinking of getting a 150 Merc Tower o Power and did not know if I should mount the motor directly to the boat or should I have a set-back? Should I put an older merc on her or should I put a newer Black Max? Not looking to race, mainly to cruise around, do some skiing, and race every now and then :)
'76 Viper Bicentennial in the works

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Solid motor mounts are the round ones between the swivel bracket and mid section.

If you do a jackplate I would suggest a Bobs convertable

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I have removed the core from the transom up to the seat box. My question is what is the best way to remove the seat box, without causing a huge amount of damage to the box so that I can use it as a template to build another one? Thanks!

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

My first response would be to take some measurements first because you will probably destroy it during removal.

I would try to cut along the edges with a saws-all carefully. The problem will be the foam, I think they make the fiberglass shell then fill with foam. The foam will be attached to the floor and the core on the sides.

Good luck
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

A-Train-97
The new guy
The new guy

Can't wait to see what this thing will look like when it's all done. I've always liked the bicentennial viper. One of my all time fav Hydrostreams. If your still looking for help & your on S&F look up Riverman. He is very knowledgeable on this subject and he dose very nice work. One of the best (IMO) & he will not be afraid to help you out with any questions that you might have. Good luck and keep up with the great project

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Chet-you were right about the seat box. No matter what I did, there was no clean way to try and salvage it for later. When I got done removing the box, there was a pile of foam, fiberglass, and Rotting plywood in the boat. Three garbag bags later and I could see the floor again. Yesterday, the box came out and I finished splitting the deck and hull. Today, I will spend a few hours chipping away at the core and maybe start cutting out the transom. With how rotton the transom is right now, it should come out quick. It's amazing how wet the transom is even with it being in a garage for over a year! The core was pretty rotton under the seat box and should just peel right up. I will get some pics up soon. The weather is cool finally and it will be nice to grind outside the next few weeks. Goal is to get the new core, floor, transom and rebond the hull and deck together before the snow flies.
Hey A-Train 97...you live in Appleton. My wife and I lived in Appleton for 3.5 years and just moved back to MI in May of 2009. I work for an Appleton based company and come to Appleton twice a year. I will be there the middle of October-maybe we can meetup?

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Here are some updated pics.

The deck finally came off tonight. Had help from my father in law. Now it will be easier to finish removing everything.

I will continue with the starboard side core removal on Sunday and remove the bow under deck. Hopefully will get to removing the floor to see the stringers this weekend as well. Question-I assume there is a core under the floor as well?

The transom is still wet. This should be easy to remove and clean up.

My little helper. The deck will be tucked away in my dads pole barn for now.

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

Yes there is all kinds of core under the floor.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post