Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

79 Vulture Recore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another Hydrostream fanatic on board.

There is an awsome Viper resto thread on scream and fly that should help out alot in redoing your vulture. I will try and find it when I get home and post a link here.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thank you Hippie, Love to have that link. I'm sitting here thinking "How am I going to get there from here?" I want to do it right, yet I am nervous because I am not sure if doing it myself is the best approach. I haven't been exposed o working on boats and am having trouble with some of the terms. Could you explain what the pad is? Is it the area at the very back of the hull inside before the transom where it raises up flat? Does the core run all the way to the bow of the boat in front of the drivers seat or where exactly does it stop? Approximately how wide is the core near the middle of the boat? When working on the boat, I grinded of a bubble on each side of the stringers need the front seats that ecposes about a half inch of space and another layer of glass. Can I assume that that compartment going toward the back of the boat is where the core is? See picture. Is this where I need to start grinding out the glass on top of the core? Image

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Rick has it spot on. I used a heavy pry bar and slid it on the bottom and chipped the core out.

I don't want to add all my supplies up but I'm over $1500 including everything like sand paper, rubber gloves and all the small stuff. I used bulsa and poly.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Don't worry we were all there at some point, it's better to ask a question some answers cost a lot of money and time to find out on your own.

The pad is the flat part on the bottom of the hull, at about 60 -70 mph the boat will ride on just that part of the hull.

The core does go all the way to the bow.

Can you get a wider angle picture? I think it looks like the void is ware the core should be.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Rick. The information you gave me was a huge help. A little confused because I don't understand the basic terms. When you say "Set on a flat plank", do you mean like on a board on the floor of the garage, or need a craddle that is shaped like the hull? Also, a little foggy on the terms. Could you explain further? Where are the Chines on the boat? When you say 1/2 marine 5 layer ply. Is the stringer a single layer of the 1/2 marine the length of the hull on each side or is it several layers press together? I only have the ones I am taking out as a reference and they are 3 layers thick and have been patched and added to. Can I use the old ones as templates for making the new ones or will they be too messed up to use? If not, how do I insure that the stringers are the right height when I create my new ones? If I get down to the core on the sides before removing the stringers, can I get a better look without jeopardizing the strength of the boat while it is still on the trailer? I know I am asking a lot of questions but I don't want to assume anything. Is this a job that I can get through without a lot of previous experience or should I be putting it in the hands of someone that has done it before. About how much am I saving tackling this myself? I really appreciate your feedback and love the pictures of your stream. Heading up to the lake this weekend and I don't think the lake is frozen yet.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks guys. I'll get a wider view tomorrow and post it. Bill

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

77Viper, thanks for the totals. Just need to know what I'm in for. Note to self, sell everything I can on Craigslist to make it happen. How big is the support from the wife thing?

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Rick, Is the core this type of foam or am I on the wrong track? How much surface area did you core? I'm two feet longer right? Can I get an idea of how muck core I need that way? Is the foam all laid on flat or does it curve up the sides of the hull a little. Are they flexible enough to match the shape of the hull?

Black Foam Board 30" x 40" x 1/2" (12 sheet carton) ABF3040.5C
48.0000 Regular Price: $237.60 Buz-Line Price: $94.80

or

Black Foam Board 40" x 60" x 1/2" (12 sheet carton) ABF4060.5C
61.0000 Regular Price: $474.60 Buz-Line Price: $188.40

Here is the link I went to. Just a first look to see what I would be looking for if I went foam.

http://buz-line.com/p-102-black-foam-board.aspx?gclid=CLDk0N74p54CFQjyDAod5x66nQ

Yes/No?

Bill

Bill.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Actually, I think this link is more like what I should be looking at, Right?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|16458|309319&id=21979

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is an awsome thread by AlaskaStreamin on S&F on his Viper he is redoing and it should help alot. There are tons of pictures. Of course he split the hull but its not needed to get the job done. I will not be spliting mine what so ever just cause it will make for a bigger job than I am capable of or have the room for right now.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199085

Also take a look at 77Vipers resto thread here. Lots of good pics there. Just do lots and lots of reading.

A few pics of my Vulture...
With the floor in and with some carpet... Before the rip out.
And the carpet out and starting to take out the floor
Here is what the core should not look like in a boat... :cry1:
As you can notice, someone used plywood in mine and I dont even think its marine grade stuff. Do not do it that way! :up:

You can see my whole Vulture thread here - http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37

There is a few resto threads on here you should check out as they have lots of good info and some really great pictures.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views