Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1988 Voyager XT

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
jasongrms
The new guy
The new guy

1988 Voyager XT

I'm new to the group. Just bought an 1988 Hydrostream Voyager XT. The boat was garage kept, so it is in great shape! No major work needed on the boat, just a few upgrades. It has a 200 Merc Blackmax on it. Just got it back from the shop, had a certified Merc technician go through the engine since it had been sitting up so long. Had a chance to put it in the water last week and run it. All I can say is WOW! That boat will fly! It ran great! I do need to replace the low oil alarm float because it is not working as it should. I plan to start making a few upgrades to the boat over the winter to get it ready for summer next year. I will have several questions for the experienced Hydrostream boat owners as I begin this journey. So one so have now is centered around steering. The steering wheel needs replacing and I was wondering what I should be looking for when purchasing one? Most online companies offer steering wheels that fit a 3/4" tapered shaft. Is that the fitment I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

AdamDK

Re: 1988 Voyager XT

Congrats on the new purchase.

Don't mean to rain on your parade however - but checking the condition of the core and transom should be your first priority. Just because the boat was kept in a garage doesn't mean everything is dry. There's a guy named Jeff here (Sonik) who bought what was thought to be a mint condition garage-stored Viper. Turned out his core was in really bad shape. Hydrostream was pumping out boats as fast as they could build them, and quality suffered because of this.
http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1876
Pics of his core on page 2.

Once you're either A: certain the core and transom are healthy; or B: you've replaced it; then you should worry about steering.

Easiest way to check your core would be to get in under the splashwell, and use a 2" hole saw to cut the fiberglass skin over the core in the bilge area (where you'd pull the plug to drain water if any got in there.) The glass is only about 2-3mm (1/8th") thick. Just cut off the skin and check the core. Most likely its 1/2" balsa, so don't cut too deep. If it's good and dry, then all you need is a fiberglass repair kit from your local shop and it's easy to re-patch. If you find wet balsa, then prepare yourself.

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us updated. :up:

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Adam is right, unless you know for certain that the core has been replaced, garage kept or not, it will need to be replaced. While Hydrostream made an amazing boat, they were pumping them out so fast the quality suffered. Also, they didnt build them with the intent of them being around 20, 30, 40+ years later either. Good news is, once you replace the core, stringers, transom and floor all that properly, that boat will be rock solid and ready for 100+ mph for another 40+ years without worry.

And with that... :nopics: :up: :mrgreen:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
jasongrms
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely check this out. Pics soon to follow!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post