Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

78 VIKING. GETTING STARTED ON THIS PROJECT.

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

This is what I got. a harber freight special
20160520_124807.jpg
20160520_124807.jpg (395.3 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thats pretty much what I used and it worked pretty good for me. :)
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Streamer wrote:QR_BBPOST
Anyone here found an easy way to remove the factory rub rail?
I was doing my best to keep mine in tact. There sure is a lot of rivets :shock: I didn't want to go there. :pound:

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Yes...there is a lot of rivets!! And if I didn't have to, I wouldn't remove mine. It's a little rough anyway.
In order for me to make the repairs/changes I want the deck has to come off.

I am building this as light as I can, so anything that doesn't have to be there or have a purpose is coming out.

I'm not as flexible as I used to be, and the crawl space up under the bow and gunnels are to tight for me to work in.

Yes, that mask looks like a good one for sure...beats the paper ones hands down.. :up:

I'll pull some pics out of my phone, and maybe start a new thread. I have just begun to separate the deck, so when I get to where I can post some pics that show that I will post them. Right now the boat is stripped of all hardware and the floor is out. I have started removing the core and stringer box. Fortunately this boat and the vector both have windshields that are intact and usable. Those will go back on both boats. :vking:

James
79 Vector needs restore (on hold for now)
79 V-King getting restored (WIP)

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Streamer wrote:QR_BBPOST Fortunately this boat and the vector both have windshields that are intact and usable. Those will go back on both boats.
Your lucky mine has a cracked windshield. At least its on the side.

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Actually my V-King windshield has 2 tiny cracks near the bottom, one on each side. I drilled a small 1/16 inch hole in the tip of the crack to stop it from growing. Small enough I don't care to worry about the $500 replacement. :shock:

I have seen pictures of several boats where guys have taken their cracked windshields and made repairs to them for structural integrity (fixed cracks), then painted the windshield black and reinstall it. It looks great that way, and is still functional as a windbreak. :up: It's not like you need to see through it anyway. It sets to low. :dunno:

From what I have read it does also help keep the angle of the boat lower when at speeds of being aired out and flying. This is the biggest reason I want to keep the windshield in place. Painted or not.

And last but not least, I do like the look of the boat with the windshield in place. 8-) JMO...

I keep going back to the first few pics of your boat and motor....sure do miss that ol 79 Merc 200 I had back in the day. I had it on a 15' Checkmate that I gutted and built it up lightweight, with a stronger transom. It was a handful at WOT, but fun!! That Checkmate was a pad V, but the pad was not completely flat like our boats. One reason I think these streams are more stable at speed. :dunno:

James

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Got some more work done on my core removal and put a hole in the bottom :shock: some of this core is rock solid and I am getting spider cracks in the gel on the bottom trying to get it out. :evil:
856.jpg
856.jpg (441.66 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
860.jpg
860.jpg (139.68 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
Sucks I guess its going to happen tho. :pound:
Got most of the stringers out now to. getting work done

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Yes, the actual hull is thin, but if your careful with a grinder you should be able to get it flat and smooth (smooth with a #36 grit finish ) without further hull breach.

I don't mean by any means to come off as an expert, I'm not. Please don't read that into this. I have restored more than a few boats in my past from junk yard junk, to a couple high speed rigs all needing stringer work and new transoms. However, this is my first Hydrostream restore. I offer these suggestions just to give you options to think about trying in order to save you from extra repair work.

A 4 inch and or a 7 inch angle grinder works nice..puts a lot of glass dust in the air, but ultimately when done leaves a good flat surface to bond to with your choice of resin, or epoxy, etc.
Go as far as you can with the hammer and chipping, but grind the rest.
Below are a few links to some tools to consider, if you don't already have them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-60625.html

http://www.lowes.com/pd_470357-1069-12600___?productId=4747437&pl=1&Ntt=flapper+wheels

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-11-amp-heavy-duty-angle-grinder-69454.html

http://www.lowes.com/pd_195713-1069-3083___?Ntt=gator+3-pack+7-in+w+x+7-in+l+36-grit&UserSearch=gator+3-pack+7-in+w+x+7-in+l+36-grit&productId=1056685

I just bought one of these to try. Read on S&F a few threads where guys used these with cutting tips to get through hard to reach places ( like the foam boxes in my boat ).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_492891-70-DWE315K___?productId=4780961&pl=1&Ntt=dewalt+oscillating+tool

Haven't tried it yet, but will and report back. :dunno:

Hope this helps and is not offensive in any way...it's not meant to be anything but a suggestion. :up:

Still a little envious of your 79 Merc.. :cry1:

James

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks I am going to have start grinding this core out the hammers are to rough on it. Also now I am pulling the windshield so I can flip it over to 're gel the bottom after I get the core down. Also looked at the transom and its really wet at the bottom. Going to have to come out. :| so I got a long way to go. :boating:
854.jpg
854.jpg (480.71 KiB) Viewed 4350 times

Topic Author
Don B
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Streamer wrote:QR_BBPOST
Hope this helps and is not offensive in any way...it's not meant to be anything but a suggestion
All comments are welcome good or bad I am learning as I go. :up:

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post