Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

84 V-king set up

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
V-King75
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

84 V-king set up

Just bought a 84 V-king last week. It currently has a 86 evinrude 140 V4. The motor also has the dolph fins on it. What would be a recommended prop for wakeboarding and good top speed?

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: 84 V-king set up

It Depends on you current set up? Jackplate, low water pickup and whats on it for a prop now? If your not surfacing the prop with a 140 and need a holeshot I'd say 20 to 21 pitch prop just as long as your not pulling up godzilla. Let us know the set up and welcome!
Rick.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
V-King75
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

ccrick,
No jackplate or low water pick up. The motor has a 13 x 19 prop which now has a bit of damage from shallow water driving. Since I am new, I do not know what you mean by surfacing the prop.
Some have recommended a 25 pitch but they do not know much about the v-king. I am thinking about a manual jackplate. Do I need a low water pick up when running a jack plate? I would like a prop recommendation without a jack plate and with one. Thanks john

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Hi, you can jack the engine some but without a lwp you can't let you water pickups on either side of the gear case get above the water. I don't have a jack on mine yet but my engine is mounted high. What I mean by surfacing is the prop is partialy above the water. The higher the engine is out of the water the faster it will be but your holeshot won't be as good when pulling tubes or skiers. You want the engine in deep for that. As far as a prop, I run a 23" pitch lazer 2 and last year my engine was spinning 6500 to 6800 rpms. For my motor is the upper limits. OMC's run lower max rpms. When my hull is done this year I'm sure I'll need more prop because the boat will be much lighter. 19 pitch seems kinda low. I guess the thing to do is see what you rpm's are at wot. Dont spend any big $$$ on a prop till you get a jack. Manual jacks are ok but I know when I get one it's going to be hydrolic. Adjustment on the fly. Ultimatly for flat out speed, you'll want the prop shaft an inch or less below the pad. If you look under the back of the boat, there's a flat section at the keel thats resessed forward of the transom.Thats the pad if you don't already know. Then a 26 chopper or srx prop. Still, you need to see where your rpm's are at now. Feel free to ask if you have more ???.
Rick. :boating:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
V-King75
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks again... Do you happen to know what the max RPMs would be for my evinrude?? I think what I will do for now is have to props. Onefor pulling and one for speed. What do you think would be a good pitch for speed not knowing my current rpms??
Oh, by the way my tach is not working... Could you provide me with the stock wiring set up so I can make sure it is wired right before I buy a new tach.

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Ya gotta start with current rpm's The OMC'c and Mercs are different beasts. As far as the wiring for the tach, maybe someone can chime in that knows OMC's. Once you know the max rpm rating of the motor and rpm's at wot, should be able to make a judgement call on a prop.
Rick. :boating:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

As far as your tach there should be a purple wire to power a black to ground and a gray to the signal post. It could be your voltage regulator is bad the tach signal comes out of that. It's on the tpo of the block between the cyl.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

77viper wrote:As far as your tach there should be a purple wire to power a black to ground and a gray to the signal post. It could be your voltage regulator is bad the tach signal comes out of that. It's on the tpo of the block between the cyl.
Viper, any idea what max rpm would be on that motor???
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
V-King75
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

There is a tag on my motor showing the max rpm to be 5500 and max HP at 5000. Viper, thanks for the info. The gray wire comes off the control box below the key at the same spot the temp sending wire enters.. Does that sound right?

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

v-king that sounds right 5000-5500 or you could just keep cranking on it till the limiters kick in.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post